When I moved into my new office, my desk was all stocked. Sweetly stocked, in fact. But then I discovered I had . . . [cue ominous music] . . . NO RED PENS!!!! Horrors.
I felt emasculated. Well, I'm not really very "masculated" to begin with, but you get my point. How can I be a lawyer . . . how can I edit stuff . . . without RED PENS?????
I have now retrieved three red pens, one of every type available in the supply room, and I'm feeling slightly better. Although I'm missing my old favorites. *sniff* I'm not particularly good about changing my office supplies. I get attached and am easily traumatized by a change in pen-type.

Oh, they also didn't give me a staple remover. This has caused one punctured finger and one broken fingernail but no emotional trauma. All trauma is attributable entirely to the pens. But, never fear for my fingers, I have now acquired one of these handy-dandy staple-removing tools too.
Today you get a sign for the "supply house" (it cracks me up when I find these).
P.S. Does anyone else ever have trouble spelling "twelfth"? It just LOOKS wrong to me. Sorry for the randomness.
7 comments:
Red ink make people feel inadequate. You should use green. Green is the now color.
BHJ--Yeah! Thanks for the comment. I love green pens and actually have a cup full of them on my desk. I DO use green when working with young lawyers. Well, unless they are terrible writers who resist getting better and frustrate the hell out of me. Then they get the wrath of my red pen.
However, being a former legal secretary myself, I know that red is best for edits I'm making to my own writing. It's easiest to find on the page.
Plus, stoopid law firms don't stock green pens. Can you believe I have to buy my own? The horrors.
I prefer orange or magenta myself. And I am Extremely Picky about my writing implements. It has to be fat and cushioned. PaperMate Extends are my favorites and they come in all colors, pencil and ink. Yes, my office orders them just for me. I also like felt-tip, which are hard to come by these days. But they need an extra cushion. I really hate black pens.
Yes, writing implements, another one of my cute quirks. Okay, I admit it, I just love office supplies in general. :D
And I bet I would spell twelfth wrong every time. But maybe not now.
The end.
I must sign all letters and pleadings in blue pen. Just because.
Nothing beats a Sharpie! Ok, so I don't use them for edits, or for signing stuff...but i have them everywhere...I tried the fancy colors, I was underwhelmed. Except for silver...the silver Sharpie rocks!!! Other than that, I'm a basic black and sometimes red Sharpie guy.
I hate the pens they buy at work, but they buy me my own. blue and black.
You're all nuts. But don't get me started on mechanical pencils. Oooh.
I like those too. Still have to be fat and cushioned. Those I have to buy for myself... work can't get any that I like.
Post a Comment