Wednesday evening Bro and Iew* told their kids about the divorce. His recap of it was heartbreaking . . . worse than I imagined. (Yes, this is leading to a proud moment.) He described watching the innocence leave his six-year-old daughter. I cannot imagine. Thankfully, the three-year-old is just too young to understand.Thursday, Eldest was returning to her job nannying for Bro and Iew. It was going to be the first time Eldest was with them since she knew about the divorce. She said that the six-year-old was a little clingier than usual, but otherwise did not mention how her family was changing. But Iew and Eldest had quite a conversation.
If you know me and know more of this RL drama, then you know why that would have me concerned. There is plenty of reason to think that this might not be a mature moment for Iew. However, it turned out to be a VERY mature moment for Eldest. As soon as she was alone with Iew, she brought it up and said, "Aunt __, I'm really sorry you and J are getting a divorce. But I want you to know that it won't change how I feel about you. And if you ever need me or need me to help you with the kids, just call me and I'll be there for you." Eldest was shocked when Iew burst into tears and wrapped Eldest in a big bear hug. They apparently then had a lovely day together. The four of them went to the pool and had plenty of fun.
I love my kid. She stepped up and said the perfect thing to her Aunt. And she meant every single word of it. She'll be there for Iew. And hopefully Iew learned a thing or two about her niece. Something like . . . despite the fact Eldest has learning disabilities and isn't always socially graceful . . . she has one of the biggest hearts in the world. Really.
I couldn't have designed a better ending to a situation that has been giving me heartburn.
*Bro's Imminently Ex-Wife
No comments:
Post a Comment