Tuesday, August 19, 2008

more wtf from the life of laggin

So, as part of her I'm-going-to-keep-myself-really-busy-to-get-over-this-boy campaign, Eldest went out for the golf team at her high school. Excellent that she's got a plan and is executing it, right? Hip hip hooray for no moping, right?

Here's the catch. She's never played a game of golf. in. her. life.
Ever.
Never.
Nope.
Not even once.

But, it's a small high school and an even smaller team, so they are happy to have her and will teach her to play. Plus, it's one of those sports that is a life sport (and a time suck) and she can play it forever. These are all pluses.

But you've got to love THIS text exchange we had after her first day of practice (the spelling is all hers; I left it for your reading pleasure):

Eldest
wow.
i didn't suck, at all.
m [a friend and member of the golf team] says im "amazing"
i deff want my own womans clubs.
xD
before the monday tournment...if possible.

Me
Wth?

Eldest
i know.
i asked the coach if i was decent and she said "very, very, very decent."
i had like 3 bad hits...
kinda odd...

(Um. Yeah. Like a fish riding a bicycle down the streets of Denver, odd.)

Eldest
i was freeked out.
so.
i need clubs.
and a glove...
and the uniform jersy polo...
i want the teeshirt and sweats too...i'll pay for the tee.

Me
Call me. Now.

God. Isn't she generous? She'll pay for the tee.

What the hell have I created?

Oh. And a boy on the the boys golf team is taking her golfing this weekend to give her a lesson. uh oh.

It's a picture of a golf club house! (It looks NOTHING like the ugly course on which the high school team plays.)

16 comments:

Russ said...

Ahh golf, the giver of great joy and the taker of great joy. To fully "enjoy" the sport, make sure she plays every stroke, no mulligans and no gimmes.

This is one of the things that I have missed since becoming a SAHD. I never get out to golf anymore (something about one income and frivolous spending).

Oh, and you may want to hire the club pro to monitor the "lesson". Just want to make sure that the boy isn't teaching her any bad techniques.

Carolyn...Online said...

But she's going to buy the t-shirt. I love it.

MsPicketToYou said...

This is awesome. She is resilient. Maybe not Tiger Woods, but resilient. And very very generous.

Seriously said...

OMG -- I would laugh but I am just panicked at the financial commitment here. She can do this and her music??

Anonymous said...

do they have a beer cart on her high school team?

Leslie said...

Russ--not a bad idea. That boy gave her his ST. Christopher medal to help at her first practice. Nothing like some good old fashioned religion used to get in her pants. (Did I really just type that?)

Picket and Carolyn--slightly more generous than I gave her credit for. This morning she offered her last summer pay-check ($126) toward clubs. I fell over.

Rowan--financial commitment? Ha. The kids are just one huge money pit. I cannot even guess how much money their activities suck up.

Falstaff-dude, you have a one track beer mind. And I think you need to start a blog. Seriously. I'll read.

Leslie said...

Oh and music? She's playing in FOUR ensembles at school.(Sting ensemble, Woodwind ensemble, jazz band and pep band). Only jazz band is for credit. The others are ECs. I may never see her all school year. Could I be so lucky?

Jasper Mockingbard said...

I read your anecdotes and realize that I am a million miles away from being ready for Esmeralda to be a teenager. Thanks enlightening me as to what is to come.

Leslie said...

Um. STRING ensemble. Not an entire ensemble dedicated to the music of "Sting". Stoopid thumb Blackberry typing.

Leslie said...

Oh Jasper--you'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be the first day of kindergarten, one breathe later and it's 4th grade, you blink and it's middle school. I suppose this afternoon mine will head off to college and get married. *sigh*

Um. That just "freeked" me out a bit.

Seriously said...

No Sting ensemble? Damn!

(Word verification is mysugr. How Cute!)

tonkelu said...

She couldn't have picked a cheap after school activity? Like chess?

I hope to hell my kids don't pick up golf until they don't live in my house anymore. That sport is a money pit.

I'm happy for her, though. She's getting through this much better than I imagined.

Seriously said...

I remember trying to buy cheap clubs 15 years ago. (I don't know what I was thinking). Even those were a couple hundred dollars. No way a teenager will go with the cheapest ones...

Do you know any women golfers that may have an old set laying around that she can borrow until she has given it a try and is sure she wants to do this?

Leslie said...

I knew I could count on Car-man to (a) research and figure out what she needed and (b) spend more than we needed to.

He found 1/2 price, end-of-season sale clubs and aren't the cheapest things. BUT he spent more than I would have-$180.

The catch in all this is that she's so darn tiny (5 foot 1/2 inch), so borrowing clubs was really out. But that's also why Bri found something on sale.

MereCat said...

I think that's awesome! I hope it's not beginner's luck or anything. I hope it sticks. Golf is a great game, and a good life sports with LOTS of connections. And if she's really happy, well, you will be too! Except it sounds like your wallet will be a bit forlorn. ish.

siskbert said...

Wow, breaking up is expensive for kids. Thank God I never dated until I was 21 and could buy my own booze.