A statement made by my mother this morning:
"Well, not that you've asked about her but I thought you should know, they found a large lump in Grammy's breast."
Would you like one lump of guilt or two with your bitter cup of sad news?
It's true. I hadn't asked. I was dealing with a kid in a very tenuous mental state most of the weekend (Eldest is not doing well. She's not bouncing back.) I should have remembered to ask about Gram.
But Mom had to drop the news that way?
Would you like a piece of crap with your dry biscuit?
Gram will be 99 in November. She's in advanced stages of Alzheimer's. She's blind, incontinent and hasn't walked in four years. The person she was has been gone for years. There are worse things than a lump in your breast. If she can die painlessly, I'm ready to accept this as the time.
But knowing that I was on the edge with Eldest, Mom thought this a fit way to tell me this news? Welcome to cruelty tea with my mother.
2 comments:
What on earth is going on with Eldest?
Sorry your mom can be such a bitch. I'll be sure to slap you silly if I ever catch you behaving like that, deal? I'm even more sorry about your Grammy. Hopefully she can go peacefully. Sounds like she deserves it.
firstly: I miss Ruthie, my gram. Which is not to add guilt. it's just to say it: i miss her.
MORE BITTER BREAK UP SONGS for eldest: here's my newest: BMFA by Martha Wainwright and to prove I don't only like songs with bad language: Forgiveness, Patty Griffin, which is um, my favorite song ever.
Post a Comment