Sunday, August 17, 2008

when i used to think travel was romantic

I am dreading this week. This week and next week are "travel" weeks for work. Meh.

I remember when I was a starry-eyed young lawyer and I thought the travel of the senior associates and partners was so thrilling. That it would be wonderful to go see all those places . . . for FREE. Not so much. I pretty much eat hotel food, try to watch tv and fail because TIVO has spoiled me and get exhausted. There really isn't time to see anything. I spend each night in the hotel getting ready for the next day. Not my definition of romantic and thrilling.

So here's my week:

Monday--my new office furniture arrives and I have to do the preparation for this week's depositions (a deposition is an examination of a witness under oath, for all you non-lawyers).

Tuesday--fly to Orange County, Ca. EARLY, take a 1 p.m. deposition, drive to San Diego.

Wednesday--Take 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. depositions in San Diego, fly to Reno.

Thursday--Take 9 a.m. deposition in Reno, fly home, arriving close to midnight.

Friday--Catch up on everything I missed in the office all week.

Next week, I am traveling to Arkansas for an eight hour oral argument. (Yeah, you lawyer-readers. A state court judge actually scheduled us for eight friggin' hours of argument.) Because of how rural this courthouse is, I have to fly to Memphis and drive about two hours. Thus, I get to spend one day travelling TO the hearing, spending one day AT the hearing and spend another day travelling FROM the hearings.

Ugh. This is going to suck. And I'm not sure how much time I'll have to blog. I'll probably read and comment via phone.

It's an airplane house for me.

1 comment:

Seriously said...

Blech!

At least you get away for the teenage drama for a while, right? Don't know if that is better or worse...