The title of this post is actually a quote from the brilliant ciii.
The whole quote, if I'm being all accurate and stuff, was, "Boys.....we ain't real Bright. But, a Hell of a lot of Fun."
That made me think of a story. It's not really about the fun part; just the ain't real bright part.
A few years back, when we were still dumb, newbie parents-of-teenagers, Car-man and I volunteered to chaperon the middle school dance. More accurately, I volunteered and forced him to go with me by threatening to withhold sex. (I had to pull out the big gun for this one.) I mean a mom should not have to face that horror alone, right?
Well, it turned out that Car-man was one of like four chaperons who were dads. So they were on PDA patrol. And I don't mean PTA-patrol. I mean he was supposed to break-up public displays of affection. I kid you not. He had to walk around and break-up the couples. No long hugging, no lap sitting, no making-out. He was seriously unhappy with me. I just kind of giggled. Wondering if I was going to get cut-off too.
I, on the other hand, was given balcony duty. Which means, I had to stand on the balcony and assist the off-duty, yet in uniform, policeman hired by the PTA to patrol with thisnightmare lovely, stupid well-thought-out event.
The whole quote, if I'm being all accurate and stuff, was, "Boys.....we ain't real Bright. But, a Hell of a lot of Fun."
That made me think of a story. It's not really about the fun part; just the ain't real bright part.
A few years back, when we were still dumb, newbie parents-of-teenagers, Car-man and I volunteered to chaperon the middle school dance. More accurately, I volunteered and forced him to go with me by threatening to withhold sex. (I had to pull out the big gun for this one.) I mean a mom should not have to face that horror alone, right?
Well, it turned out that Car-man was one of like four chaperons who were dads. So they were on PDA patrol. And I don't mean PTA-patrol. I mean he was supposed to break-up public displays of affection. I kid you not. He had to walk around and break-up the couples. No long hugging, no lap sitting, no making-out. He was seriously unhappy with me. I just kind of giggled. Wondering if I was going to get cut-off too.
I, on the other hand, was given balcony duty. Which means, I had to stand on the balcony and assist the off-duty, yet in uniform, policeman hired by the PTA to patrol with this
Generally, when the kids were being dumb-asses, Officer McThisJobSucks would shine his big ole-mag light on them. They would be both blinded and enlightened (ba-da-bing!), and would usually stop their dumb-ass ways.
When they didn't stop being all idjity, Officer McTJS would go down to the gym floor to
Let me start by saying that I know boys do not have an exclusive patent on stupid. But middle school boys? Near as I can tell, they are among the stupidest creatures. Ever. Middle school girls=nasty. Middle school boys= STOOPID.
Some of their less-than-intelligent moves included crowd surfing...head first...and they wouldn't pay attention to where the crowd ended... THUNK. Oh! And believing they were Spiderman. Yeah. They would get a running start at the gym wall, attempt to run up it and do a back-flip off the wall. None of them succeeded. Several had large goose eggs on their noggins. Clearly they were empty noggins.
See?
Dolts.
Dummies.
But at this particular dance they took it to a whole new level. A group of about seven boys created a maneuver I fondly remember as the "boy toss". Six of them would stand across from each other...almost like they were going to do the Virginia Reel...and hold hands, both hands...across the space between them. Then, the seventh boy would get a running start and dive onto the conjoined arms of his buddies and they would toss him as hard as they could....into the crowd of dancers. Before Officer McTJS could jog his little belly down those stairs and escort these brainiacs out of the building, I saw them launch three or four boys a good ten feet into the
air and 15 feet deep into the crowd.
No one seemed to get really hurt. But that was justunfortunate damn lucky.
But at this particular dance they took it to a whole new level. A group of about seven boys created a maneuver I fondly remember as the "boy toss". Six of them would stand across from each other...almost like they were going to do the Virginia Reel...and hold hands, both hands...across the space between them. Then, the seventh boy would get a running start and dive onto the conjoined arms of his buddies and they would toss him as hard as they could....into the crowd of dancers. Before Officer McTJS could jog his little belly down those stairs and escort these brainiacs out of the building, I saw them launch three or four boys a good ten feet into the
air and 15 feet deep into the crowd.No one seemed to get really hurt. But that was just
Later, some of the nasty girls got in a scratch fight and were bleeding all over the place.
Car-Man and I have not returned to the Middle School dance scene. We just preferignorance to pretend that we don't know what's happening while our girls are away from us.
Car-Man and I have not returned to the Middle School dance scene. We just prefer
Isn't this just the perfect picture for this post?
11 comments:
That is the perfect picture!!
Love the story! See how fast you smartened up? Faster then McThisJobSucks, that's for sure. (That is my new favorite line, btw. Do you mind if I borrow it?)
We went to a Halloween "Party" at the 5yr old's school this past weekend. Really turned out to be more of a dance/crazy free-for-all. I shudder to think of the future!
None of my three kids would allow me to ever chaperone a middle school "canteen" (as they are called here). They wouldn't have gone if I was going to be there, and with my kids, you have to force them to socialize. From the horror stories I've heard, I'm quite glad I never had to do the PDA duty.
I wish I could tell you that we get more intelligent with age, some do, but most just get a license to drive.
Off to the Nunnery with her!!
Seriously, do you share these stories with the exclusive intent of frightening all of us fathers with daughters?
I have a scientific question about teen boys. Is there something about their physical make-up that will not allow them to close their mouths? I don't mean talking, I mean they can't actually move their jaws to closing position, they stand around with their mouths agape. What is that?
dcd--Use away!
Cocette--Oh, I had to cut quite the deal with her. We weren't allowed to speak to her AND she picked out what we were going to wear!
Russ--I think you all get better at resisting the stupid impulses as well.
Miko--OF COURSE I'm trying to terrify you. Muwaahahaha! And in answer to your question, isn't that because they are in an eternal state of horniness? Is that how you spell horniness/ horneyness?
Told ya.
Yes, boys are tragically stoopid. And girls are unfortunately mean.
The middle school boys I taught constantly had the mouth open- glazed look on their faces.
I think everything, combined with the joys that puberty brings to young men, is a tad overwhelming. The boys that had yet to be bitten by the hormone fairy were still gleefully oblivious and able to cavort in their immature childish ways. (Did you hear the sarcasm in that? Me neither.)
As usual I am taking notes from your experiences. *scribbles down* "Never under any circumstances attend any middle school function." (I am thinking of just sending them to Grandma's for the teenage years anyway. I can live with visitation rights.)
geez. That's some wild stuff, that hurling of humans. I can totally tell already that's going to be my son. He was fighting throngs of kids on a slide yesterday, and he can barely walk.
So far, I can't even get my middle school boy to attend a dance, so maybe that means he's one of the smart ones!(?)
omg I loved that. I might have to borrow the Ass house picture - for my next ass family reunion.
:-)
Post a Comment