Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I hafta share

That's my girl (on the right) and her good buddy on their way to Homecoming Saturday night. (This isn't a friend you've ever heard about.)
Their theme was "How Sweet It Is"...they decorated the gym like Candyland. The girls were supposed to dress is bright, candy colors.

Their group plans feel through, so I drove them all over heck and back. I really can't take these past-midnight driving sprees anymore. I'm still tired! Wah.

Homecoming is much more formal now than when I was in high school. We wore nice slacks or non-formal dresses. The guys were in slacks and sweaters. I don't think I ever saw a tie.

What was your Homecoming like?

17 comments:

Russ said...

It was usually cold as balls in NJ by the time Homecoming rolled around. How fancy can you get all bundled up in a winter coat?

Seriously said...

One of the years I remember a full jean skirt and a vest with a poofy sleeved denim shirt under it. The prairie look was in way back then. I have no idea what I wore the other year. I am pretty sure my date wore a v-neck sweater with a button down and tie under it.

Funny side note -- I went to homecoming Junior and Senior year with the same guy. Those were the only two dates we ever had... and those were the only two formal high school events I ever attended. Thing that make you go... hmmmm.

for a different kind of girl said...

Homecoming was always right after the football game, in the high school gym, and we all just wore jeans and sweaters or shirts. It was absolutely nothing formal, ever. No decorations. Nothing. It was really just like standing around in the gym during the lunch period. We were a simple folk!

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh man. Homecoming. We did the fancy dresses with satin shoes dyed to match, corsages, limos... Sneaking drinks. Spiral perms. Nervous slow dances. Eek.

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I went to one dance in HS, was suspended from school for 3 days for drinking, well, possession of alcohol (used that time to replace the transmission in my car) and never went to another dance.

I successfully challenged the SM School District policy that deducted a letter grade for suspended students! (I argued that I should get zero credit for anything that was due or occurred during the suspension, but a letter grade just because bore no relation to the offense - we were 75 yards from the PV police Dept. at the time!) Made me a hit with the 'smoking lounge' set.

I did go to the hotel during Prom and 'saved' the beer when security came up to throw us out...I was in the bathroom (beer was iced in the tub) at the time, heard the commotion and turned the shower on...

Dread Pirate Davi said...

Formal dresses, but not as formal as prom. What guys wore varied from slacks with button-up shirts to full on suits.

cIII said...

The only Homecomng that I attended was our Local University's football Homecoming.

And that was, pretty much, BGD4 and I slow roasting a Whole Pig all day. Screwdrivers for Breakfast and Bourbon for Lunch and Dinner.

I was wearing my best Blue Jeans and a t-shirt.

miko564 said...

Holy Crap!!

I thought Kansas was only in Black and White in "The Wizard of Oz"! I had no idea it was actually Black and White.

When you fly over it, does the plane lose all color? Do you regain color as soon as you cross the border, or does it come back all gradual like?

As for homecoming, nobody ever came back to our school once they escaped, so it wasn't a big deal.

Leslie said...

Russ--Believe me, they were cold when I took that picture!

Rowan--I may have had that same outfit.

FADKOG--I think ours were after games too, but we went and changed first.

Carolyn--Spiral perms! ha.

Falstaff--Karma is gonna bite you, sir.

Davi--Sounds kind of like Eldest's version.

ciii--Can you do that again and invite me?

Miko--Eldest is into photo editing. She took the color picture off my camera and then edited it to make everything put their dresses black and white. Then added the matching text. She spends HOURS every week, if not per day, editing photos and videos. It's one of her geeky addictions. Don't even get me started on her vlogging!

miko564 said...

Darn. So Kansas ISN'T in B/W?

Leslie said...

Only during tornados.

MsPicketToYou said...

no homecoming. no prom. apparently, the only fun in boarding school is when you cram forty kids into a hotel room and fill the bathtub with beer. i wore jeans and a tie dye.

um also: eldest is lovely.

Bijoux said...

I never ever went to a high school dance. No one went stag and I never seemed to have a boyfriend during Homecoming or prom time!

Monica said...

I can only remember one homecomming, I went with a guy friend as neither of us wanted the pressure of a date. We had a blast. I do not remember them being so formal either.

By the way, the girls are adorable!

MereCat said...

Homecoming was so not a big deal for us. For one, we had no football at our school For two, no one actually "came home."

DKC said...

I don't recall the Homecoming dance as one of our formals. Pretty sure that was just the usual high school trying to look good, but not in a geeky way, dress.

Zip n Tizzy said...

I don't remember anything about the homecoming dance... not even sure that I went. I just remember working on the float.
I don't think homecoming was formal though.