Wednesday, November 5, 2008

horror

While looking over one of my daughter's Facebook accounts, I saw the following status today:

"Bobby is its ok fellow republicans, he will get shot."

I want to cry.

I want to rail against this boy with my fists.

I want to make him watch the video of Martin Luther King Jr. being shot over and over again until he cries pools of tears.

I want my daughter to never speak to this boy again as long as she lives.

19 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

I came here because I was going to comment on the previous post that was in my Reader. Then this popped up and I was rendered shocked and a bit speechless. I understand your words...

Bijoux said...

I cringe EVERY time I look at Facebook.

Anonymous said...

a truly sad and pathetic commentary on this boy.

however, before we heap piles of blame on him for his sordid views, shall we take a peek at one of the possible origins of this viewpoint?

no, I am not referring to this country's longtime battles with racism...I am referring to the "angry mob" mentality fostered by the McCain campaign - just look at the crowd during his extremely eloquent and moving concession speech - it's like Frankenstien in that the good doctor can no longer control the beast that he created.

While I'm on the topic, I think that the McCain that spoke last night would have won the election if he had been running the entire campaign.

miko564 said...

*Sigh*
So cavalier...about human life. The people who should WANT to beat him should be other Republicans.

Tell his parents to take him to the City Emergency Room, to watch Drs try to push someone’s guts back inside them. Have him sit with a mother/father/children of a shooting victim when the Docs tell them their loved one is dead. (Though, one assumes parents are where he got his views.) *Sigh*

Leslie said...

This boy was home-schooled by his very "Christian" family until he was 15. Perhaps that is the saddest part of all.

Seriously said...

OMG, that is so sad. The kid needs to learn to filter. Some thoughts just should not leave your head.

How do we break kids of this (or better yet stop it before it starts) so they don't turn out like the gun range owner in Miko's blog (count 5 paragraphs down)?

I don't know if it matters, but how can you tell if someone is just spouting off stupid shit, or if they are serious?

I just can't comprehend someone seriously thinking something like this is okay. How do you just shrug off someone's life?

It makes me want to cry.

Leslie said...

Profound statement of the day: "How do you just shrug off someone's life?" Well put.

Russ said...

Falstaff, I'm not flaming here, but you missed the mark on the "mob mentality fostered by the McCain campaign". Angry or otherwise. I can think of no instances where something like that was encouraged. Infact, most were sponsored by the Obama campaign (the alleged "kill them" comment that no one outside the media heard at a Palin rally and Obama himself telling his followers to "get in their faces" quickly come to mind).

I do not condone what this child said. No one in their right mind could, but we all just need to cool off. The child's parent should be made aware of the comment, I would want to know if one of my children said something so awful, and if the parents fail to comprehend the transgression I don't know what to tell you.

Again, please don't take this in any way other than the way it was intended, as a counterpoint. Nothing malicious.

As much as I don't care for Mr. Obama to be my president, he is my president and I will stand with him.

Leslie said...

I do not know the boy or his parents. He is merely a Facebook acquaintance. In other words, a friend-of-a-friend, who she has met in person once.

I won't get involved with his parents. But you can bet that this is not a friendship I will ever encourage.

Russ said...

Somehow I believe that! (the not encouraging the friendship thing.)

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

*gasp*

I've had several super fundamentalist Christian "friends" (I've actually unfriended most of them. Not because of their religion or politics but because of their true colors) be shockingly hateful WRT our new president. It's an eye opener. We're not they're yet. We're just not there and that breaks my heart.

DKC said...

As others said - no matter what the political view you have - such a sentiment is simply not okay.

*sigh*

After such a wonderful high from last night, that does bring things crashing back to Earth a bit.

Dibs said...

Once the euphoria ends, is this the aftermath?

Such venom came from the conservative campaign, it is not surprising (but, nonetheless, still horrifying) that the children of our country absorbed it. Perhaps via the media or at the dinner table. No one is born knowing how to hate.

Seriously said...

Question - Have you talked to her about the comment? What is her take on it? I think I know, but am curious anyway...

cIII said...

I got Nothin'.

Now. If you'll excuse me....I need to have a Smoke and Pound my Fists into the side of the Building until the Pain makes the "Stupid" go away.

I'll be out there a while.

Bring Coffee.

and gauze.

Carolyn...Online said...

I... huh. I got nothin'.

Shaking head.

Anonymous said...

it is more satisfying to me now than ever that Barack won the election.

threatening to kill a US President, whether made in jest or not is an act of sedition and will be investigated by the feds - all such acts are taken very seriously. So, to suggest that a candidate, either candidate, would "plant" a supporter to make such a threat is so totally preposterous that it hardly bears a response.

It is true that in the latter stages of an embarrasingly negative campaign, Dr. Frankenstein made some attempt to calm the angry mob, but the torches had already been lit.

final thought, the President-elect's supporters were out celebrating Tuesday night all over the world, not huddled in a hotel in Arizona waiting to get a sound bite on Fox News.

siskbert said...

Hatred is a blind and arrogant thing. It thinks that it can lash out and there will be no harm to the self. All I can say is, if possible, talk to your daughter. I figure there is some anonymity to this oversight, but if you can tell her you saw this. Tell her your shock. Explain to that this cannot be a casual comment "shrugged off". Hatred may mask itself in innocence, but take that mask away, expose it and the hatred often withers and dies. Perhaps then this boy will understand what he truly said.

LiteralDan said...

That's just frighteningly sad, but you know life will take that kid up and down and I'm sure he'll eventually see a statement like that through much the same eyes as we are now.