Saturday, November 15, 2008

sasquatch sighting

Ok. I've met him. Sasquatch, that is. We can also call him Gentle Ben. Davi was right. He's a huge teddy bear.

But...I'm still pretty sure there is a significant wild side hiding under there.

Nice kid. Smart. Funny as hell. He broke into a Scottish brogue in the middle of dinner. It was hysterical. Younger and I almost choked on dinner. Then Younger started making her pig sounds (she's quite talented at pig imitations). This is where it started to go down hill. Younger then belched loudly and announced she was our son. The kids were laughing and I was laugh/cringing. At least it broke the ice and made Sasquatch less intimidated.

Here's what I know about the "baggage" I mentioned yesterday. He has three older brothers...one of whom is his identical twin. His parents are no longer together and his mom lost custody. Apparently her mothering skills are very questionable. Being the youngest, the twins were shielded from most of the bad stuff by their older brothers. Wow.

In the first month of his freshman year of high school, his girlfriend committed suicide.

He's been struggling with depression for awhile. But...um...with this history, who wouldn't be?

On the good side....gifted program student, all Honors courses, plays the double bass (he was in the Youth Symphony here in town...both of my girls have played in various of their ensembles too) and the bass guitar, he wants to be a psychiatrist.

Oh. And he can't drive yet. He is 16 but has a history of epilepsy, so doesn't current qualify for a license. That's a plus in my book. It's easier to keep track of them (even if I am driving them all over the place late at night), when they can't drive.

So...I guess he's....ok.

Car-man came home from his trip early. He had trouble seeing past the giantness and the hair. (You can take the boy out of the 80's but he's still a product of the 80's.) But Car-man agreed that he needed to try and have a conversation with Sasquatch next time he's over.

I agree with Tonks...I so wish she would just stay single for awhile.

11 comments:

DKC said...

Wow - that's a lot of baggage for one teenage boy. Sounds like he's not too bad - for a sasquatch and all.

Dibs said...

Oh Laggin, he sounds good! I may be biased because he is a strings player, but nothing you said sent alarm bells screaming for me. He's got goals and must be into school if he's doing honors stuff. I'd take this boy (I can't call him "Sasquatch," he sounds too nice) over Mr. Swa-vay any day.

Bijoux said...

Try to get the full scoop on the suicide thing. We've had a couple at our high school over the last 5 years and there's quite a stigma put on the surviving boyfriend.

miko564 said...

Hmmm. How much to reveal? I was Sasquatch in some ways...I was bright, funny, and parents liked me, but they were also wary of me. My parents went through an on-again off-again, divorce, and separation; all the while my father lived 1000 miles away and dated. It messed me up. I was the older brother who shielded the younger sibling.
I was a state champion in extemporaneous speaking my freshman year, nationally ranked my sophomore year, and quit when the fam got bad. Honors courses first two years, didn't graduate with my class as a senior.
The problem with the angst is that at 16 you don't know how to not displace it on to others. I was always deeply afraid that a girlfriend would leave me with no notice, so I was VERY clingy, and controlling. Not threatening, just...smothering.
He may be able to handle all this emotional stuff, but it would make him pretty unique. Keep on eye on him...or "Trust but verify".

Dibs said...

Spent the day cleaning and have been thinking about this.

To clarify, I had a positive reaction to your post because I've dated some squeaky-clean guys on the outside who were pretty scary on the inside. My first bf was as clean-cut as they come, and my parents loved him. And he was a hyper-controlling dawg.

A scary outside can also contain a scary inside, and he certainly could be a wild child. But ultimately, he sounds like a kid who has had a lot of tough breaks.

Anonymous said...

Off topic: did you know that if you have your uvula removed you can't make pig noises? True story.

DKC said...

Off topic as well - just wanted to say Good luck tomorrow!!! You will be great! (Just picture the judge(s?) in their underwear!)

MereCat said...

Hey! Glad that went well. Sounds like everyone even had a lot of fun. Yay!

Vodka Mom said...

wow! My heart goes out to this young man. He sure sounds great. Can I steal him for Sassy? Are his teeth straight? Did he shower???

Seriously said...

Hmmmm... I am intrigued.

Zip n Tizzy said...

My heart goes out to this kid too. He sounds like a sweetheart who's had some hard knocks. Plus everything is harder in HS.
I think your right. The lack of drivers liscense is on your side. Try and give them lots of opportunities to hang out with you guys. (If you can stand it.) A kid like that, who cares about your daughter, could use an adult who's got a vested interest. Good Luck.