Wednesday, December 3, 2008

happenings in the house

I've been wanting to put this picture in a blog for awhile. I could never come up with the right one, so I decided to just stick it in here randomly.

You gotta love sisters.
Thank you all for holding my virtual hand with my crap on a cracker post. I worried for naught...at least for naught, yet.

Eldest did break up with Sasquatch but then they got back together. She's still talking to Asshat...who, she tells me, has confessed that he still has strong feelings for her. But she's decided not to go down that particular path. Yay!

She and I have talked a lot. She came clean about Sasquatch's history. She says that he's told her about his extracurricular activities but that since she wants him to stay straight, he's going to do that. No drugs...no drinking and if she wants to lay off the physical side, he's willing to slow down. She says she told him that if he does any of this, they are over. He "accepts" that. She also says that he hasn't been participating in any of this since they've been dating.

I believe her. Or at least, I believe that she's given him an ultimatum and that she believes him. I don't know that I believe him, but then that's not the question, is it? Since I can still control how and when she sees him (different schools, a good 10 miles between our homes and neither of them are drivers), I think I'm ok with this arrangement for the time being. The relationship with Sasqatch is almost all over the phone/texting/Facebook. At least she didn't get back together with Asshat. *phew*

I have tortured Sasquatch with an invitation to join our family (and by that I also mean my mother and father) at Eldest's school's madrigal dinner Sunday night. The combination of celebrating the baby Jesus's birth in music (said in my best Southern twang) and the joy of my mom's uppity-ness, should prove perfectly unpleasant to his pagan soul. Eldest has apparently already lectured him on being "really" dressed up and manners and pulling out her chair and such. Maybe she'll drive him off in her own sweet way, eh? I know his long hair is going to go over like a lead balloon at her school (boys hair is to be above the collar, ears and eyebrows).

The news on the Younger-front, is that she has made a club volleyball team. This means I've given up much of my life and bank account to her favorite sport. Damn. This sports stuff gets 'spensive! Why can't they just go run around a field/court cheaply, huh? She's thrilled with herself and is looking forward to a mere 15 hours of volleyball training this weekend (oh, and don't forget the 3 hours on each Monday and Wednesday). Somebody call Vodka Mom, I need a drink.

Most of this week Younger will spend writing the review of literature for her science project. It's due Friday. Nothing like leaving a 270 point project for the last minute, eh? Somehow this is my fault. I'm still trying to figure out just how; but that this is not done...not even reading the literature (or for that matter HAVING IT, until last night), or having the notecards done...is my fault. Um hum. Sure. Whatever. I do understand that it is difficult to locate and understand the Federal standards for flammability of children's pajamas, but she picked the project!

I can't wait until we get to start burning pajamas in our garage. Won't that be fun? Let's hope my house doesn't turn into a burning house!

12 comments:

DKC said...

Yay for Eldest! Sounds like she has Sasquatch in line as much as possible.

Oh, Younger - are you sure we are not related? I left my college senior Student Teaching project until the last week or so. So not a good idea, and so like me.

Love the picture!

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I heard if you use dryer sheets on pajamas it makes them unflame-retardant. Just thought I'd throw that out here.

Carolyn...Online said...

It's STILL all your fault? I thought for sure when they got older some of it could become the dad's fault. Or society's. Or their teachers. Peers? No? Still the mom? So unfair.

tonkelu said...

Well, I'll take Sasquatch over Asshat. I haven't e-mailed her yet but you, being such a stealthy Ninja, know that. ;)

I don't think Sasquatch will last much past the first of the year, if he makes it that far. He'll slip up one way or another (is it wrong that I hope it's with the drugs and NOT their physical relationship?) and, hopefully, she'll put her foot down and give him the boot.

Oh, the Bloggess is correct, you're not supposed to use dryer sheets/fabric softener on kids' pajamas. If you need jammies let me know, I've probably got a few I could spare.

Happy burning.

Russ said...

I shouldn't read your blog when I've only had one cup of coffee. Teen drama is getting to be too much to follow when not properly caffeinated.

Dibs said...

I am glad to hear that Asshat has not re-emerged. Reading your old posts, I was horribly reminded of my years with the swine, and the emotional wasteland I was at the end of that time. I think my mother would strangle him still today if she could get her hands on him.

Sounds like Eldest is using her noodle! :-)

Seriously said...

I love eldest's pictures. She has a gift for photoshop. Can you get her to do one of mine so I look kinda cool too?

I really would love to be the little Rowan fairy to sit on your shoulder and watch the goings-on during the baby music thingy. It sounds highly entertaining as long as you do not have to participate.

I am going to go with - I have faith in our girl to stand by her convictions. :D

for a different kind of girl said...

Your girls are beauties!

It sounds like Eldest has a good head on her shoulders and a healthy respect for herself, which is admirable. In the event things go sour, I hope she rememebers that and knows that respecting herself is the best thing, better than any guy. That said, I hope I'm raising boys who never get the nickname Asshat! :)

For Myself said...

Graet post!
Your girls are waaaay too pretty for parenting to be easy for you. Sorry, but you need to lock the doors...like YESTERDAY.

Are you really going to burn the pj's to test their standards?? That's cool!!!

Jen W said...

First, your daughters are gorgeous!
Second, Ugh- I totally remember the teen drama. I don't miss being that age.
Third, I think it's hilarious that the code name for Eldest's BF is "Asshat".

Vodka Mom said...

Whenever I read your posts I start shaking a little inside. Even though Bitchy is on campus now, Sassy has successful picked up the baton and is RUNNING FULL STEAM with it.

I love procrastination. It's one of my OWN charms.

Zip n Tizzy said...

I love that even when it's not what you want to hear, your girls are so open and honest with you.

I vote for sasquatch over asshat too, and I suspect that part of the draw for him is the stability your family provides. It's kind of a two for one... he hangs out with her, he gets you guys too, and clearly she loves his rebeliousness.

Keep them on a tight leash. You may end up loving the guy... especially if he adhears to her rules and really is looking for someone to lay down the law.

You've got experience laying down the law, right?