Thursday, December 18, 2008

he's my favorite honky

So do you know who is here in Dallas? Other than me, that is. Well, and other than Eldest.

Do you know who is visiting here from...oh, say....Babylon(ia)? Not Arizona?

(Any bells ringing there? Any 1979 comedy fans out there?)

Here's another clue...
People stand in line,
To see the boy king.

Yup. You got it.
King Tut

(How'd you get so funky?)

The King Tut visiting exhibition is here in Dallas. I remember wanting to see it back in the 1970's when it was first touring the U.S. Eldest is a huge fan of ancient Egyptian civilization. (She's a kid with curious interests, I tell you!) So I checked with the team that's helping with this project down here and they were all interested. So I bought tickets for us all to see the show tomorrow after we finish "fun with boxes". (Don't ask. This particular project is not the sexy side of the law. In fact, it's the hideous side.) It'll be my Christmas present to these employees. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also going to have to look for a gift for my brother in the Tut gift shop.

For those of you who didn't follow Arizona, Babylonia, funky, honky, etc. That's all from Steve Martin's late 70's song about King Tut. If you haven't seen it before...funny stuff:



(Not sure that embed is working. If not, here's the URL: http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/lastdawn/?action=view&current=SNL-SteveMartin-KingTut-ComedyCentr.flv)

When this song came out, my brother was 8 or 9. He was a scrawny kid. And he'd put his t-shirt off and let it catch on his head, falling down his back, like King Tut's head-dress. He would strut about...in all his scrawny-bare-chested glory...singing this song and mimicking Martin's hand gestures. It tortured me at the time. Now, I look back, and it was pretty damn funny.

So he's definitely getting a King Tut gift.

So just one question....Did you do the monkey?

(What DOES that even mean? Or better said, does that mean what I think it means? And...um...wow.)


It's King Tut's house!

8 comments:

For Myself said...

I remember! I remember! That was a funny damn song that brought out the comedian in all of us. Have fun at the exhibit! You might want to leave your dancing shoes behind though.

cIII said...

What an incredible experience!

The original Mr. T.

Seriously said...

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I never managed to see the exhibit. But, chalk up another similarity between eldest and me.

Dibs said...

Oh how cool! I didn't get to see the 70s exhibit, but my husband and his grandma spent two days on line in Chicago to see it when he was a kid. We even have souvenirs from it.

The vision of your bro doing his Steve Martin imitation made me giggle.

Have a good time!

DKC said...

So cool! That song totally cracks me up. For a minute there I thought you meant you were going to be seeing Steve Martin! Which would also be way cool...

Vodka Mom said...

I LOVE that damn song, and the WHOLE Steve Martin thing. When I was in college my best friend and I would get drunk, and listen to Steve Martin and Gilda Radner albums ALL NIGHT LONG. No one understood us........

sigh.

Bijoux said...

I was a huge Steve Martin fan back in the day. And I love ancient Egypt too. When we took the kids to Vegas, we stayed at the Luxor. Really fun!

Zip n Tizzy said...

I remember the 70's exhibit, though I didn't actually see it, I was well aware of the rage, and I can never hear the words "king tut" without getting that song stuck in my head.