I think that blogging is kind of like journaling. I want to remember my impressions of today, thus, I'm going to share them with you.
First, beyond everything, I've been really moved...all day. What a phenomenal thing to see. Regardless of political affiliation, it is so amazing to know what we finally have elected someone other than a white male to the Presidency. I truly wondered if I would see that day. I'm not sure my kids understand. The media...movies...music...have moved faster than reality. They believe the President can be black because there have been black presidents in movies. Reality. Reality has been far different. And working in a male dominated field, I have known and felt the difference. It is inspiring to see this change.
The remainder of my observations are both serious and silly.
I couldn't help but chuckle during the oath. As Biden was taking his oath, I was impressed with the way he remembered the long phrasing. I even remember thinking about my own worries when taking my wedding vows. I was afraid that I wouldn't repeat them correctly.
So when Obama began messing them up. I just chuckled and thought, "Ok. NONE of us is perfect." But now that I've learned that the Chief Justice decided to go without notes and that it was HE who messed it up, I am more amused. (To say that I am NOT a fan of Scalia is the understatement of the year. I like George Bush...yes, SHRUB...better than I like Scalia.)
Did anyone else notice that Obama was introduced as "Barack H. Obama?" I commented right away that the announcer did not use "Hussein", even though he had previously introduced "William Jefferson Clinton" and "George Walker Bush". Later in the day, I heard a commentator say that when taking the oath Obama used his full middle name. Did anyone notice? I certainly missed it. But I was probably shrinking away from the oath gaffs.
I loved a couple of things in Obama's speech. When he chided up to put aside "childish things". Oh yes! Let's hope Congress heard that. ALL of them. But the crap aside. Work together. And if they don't, we should kick all their asses out of office.
I also loved his comment about a, "Collective failure to make hard choices." I hear the talking heads saying this is a commentary on the Bush administration. I suppose the former administration is part of it, but I believe that comment must be considered by each of us. I think our society lives beyond its means--individually and collectively. We all need to make hard choices and perhaps the current economy is a way of making us do that.
I also like how he talked about the "price and principles of citizenship." (Not sure I remember that quote right, but the idea is accurate.) There is a price and pride and principles involved. I need reminding of that sometimes.
It was so Shakespearean when he referred to, "this winter of our hardship." Loved it.
In the poem, I was moved by the lines referring to, "On the brink, on the brim, on the cusp..." Oh yes. Yes, we are. Let us all hope that it is the brink ... brim .... cusp of change for the good.
Finally, the scene with the helicopter lifting off was so amazing. To realize that in this country the former leader simply gets in a aircraft and flies home. We are so peaceful and so ordered by the rule of law, that the change is power is this easy. We are all so lucky to live in a country where change is this calm.
Oh, and Aretha, girl, someone should have told you, "STEP AWAY FROM THE BOW...err...HAT!" Man. That was a BAD choice.
10 comments:
What's not to like about Scalia?
I did catch the Hussian (sp?), it's his name, doesn't bother me.
Couldn't watch the rest. The news casters were too over the top.
Franklin did need to step away from that "hat".
Russ...most of his written opinions. Read many of them? He doesn't believe in judicial activism but spends all his time overturning precedent.
Oh the BOW! Now that was something. I still love her though. Because, really - only she could pull off a bow like that.
As to the rest - I was very moved. And I like hearing your thoughts on the subject as I really respect those thoughts.
Sorry, death by a thousand papercuts at home. I've been edgy and trying to avoid lashing out at the family.
Obviously I haven't read any of his opinions. I do agree with what he has put forth in speeches, specifically judicial activism. The only question I would have about his overturning precedent would be, is he doing it for good/logical reasons eg women's suffrage and similar or more like what we see many liberal judges accused of doing?
*snort* Woman's sufferage?! I don't mean to be disrespectful, Russ, but I'm not open minded about Scalia, at all.
Scalia spends most of his time setting back those of us who weren't born white and male. And while I have feminist tendencies, I NEVER look to the fact that I am a woman as the basis of any of my failures. Yet, Scalia sends me instinctively scurrying to the feminist corner.
Here's the real thing Scalia, he's a strict constructionist. (He rejects the term, but who, in truth, EVER wants to be labled?) Can strict constructionism of the Constitution really ever work? Can we really take the Founders' thoughts literally today? Do we live in a world even close to the world they lived in? No. Are your problems, theirs? No. Does our society present the issues of theirs? They are similar; but they have evolved. I believe our Constitution is a living document. It survives only because it was brillantly written to expand or contract as our society needs.
If we were to take the Constitution literally, then only MEN would be entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Do you buy that? Should your daughter? Does your wife?
Scalia rejects the Constitution as a living document. Thus the basis of my rejection of Scalia.
I do believe in the rule of law. I believe that our Constitution, our statutes and our judicial precedent combined create our great country. I believe they should all be respected. And just because you disagree with what someone said before you, doesn't mean you shouldn't respect it. Sure, there are times that law must be overruled; I just disagree with the way Scalia goes about it.
MMM, interesting. I need to do some reading then. Thank you for your thoughts on the topic. I'm not trying to be a troll, I promise.
I was driving home from work, listening to NPR, and hurrying to get to my house so I could start watching all the coverage I'd recorded. Anyway, they played a soundbite of his speech where he quoted that piece of Scripture about casting aside childish things, and it absolutely gave me chills. It was a pretty amazing day.
I couldn't focus on anything but the hat. That bow was over the top.
I'd gone into this whole election with cautious optimism. I wasn't sure what I could hope for.
That being said, every time I hear Obama speak, whether it's eloquently presenting a speach, or pausing for the correct oath and then accidently flubbing it, I'm impressed by his humanity.
What impresses me most about him is his ability to reach the masses in a very real way. My children have never been as excited by a public figure, real or imaginary, as they are by him. Considering we introduced him to them with a fair amount of objectivity, explaining that he would be the new president, that this was an event they would be asked about for the rest of their lives, I think the passion which they've developed for him speaks volumes about the man he is.
I'm trying to keep my expectations for his presidency realistic, but as far as people go, I think he's a very cool guy!
I liked that hat! I am thinking of getting one and wearing it everywhere and officially embarrassing the crap out of my kids.
Post a Comment