Wednesday, February 25, 2009

call me fluxioned and knock me over with a feather

Eldest's grades this morning:

Pep Band 93
Theology II 72*
World Literature 78
Math Lab 100
World History 78
Latin 79
Geometry 73*
Home Room 100

For comparison's sake, that's up 1% in Theology, 26% in World Lit, 1% in World History, 19% in Latin and down 1% in Geometry. She's still "ineligible" due to the grades with the * but...damn...she got rid of two Fs! It's amazing what happens when you turn in your work, isn't it?

I'm not really what you would call PROUD of the parade-o-Cs, but it's not failure and that's my goal. True to my word that when the Fs were gone she would get back one social event in her weekend, she will get to see Sasquatch this weekend. Goodie. I hadn't shared a sweetheart dance picture yet, so there they are. I know I am not in with teen-style, but man I hate his hair.

My parents are coming this weekend. err...yay? We are getting ready to start a remodeling project in our basement and my dad--who has done our design work--is meeting with the contractor on Saturday morning. On Sunday we will all head over to Lawrence, Kansas where Younger is playing in the Sunflower Slam. It's another lovely all day volleyball tournament.

She's really enjoying this experience. Some of her team-members are grating on her competitive-nerve because they aren't quite "into it". But she seems to be handling the captain duties well and is trying to keep them motivated. She really steps up out there on the court. She spends way more time splatted on the floor than the rest of her team. But she isn't a truly natural athlete, she's always been very tough...no sissy in this girl at all. Yet you can bet that come game-time her hair will be in a cute ponytail...maybe with a ribbon that matches her uniform? It makes me laugh. I'll try to get some good pictures of her playing this weekend.

I'm going to go breathe more easily now.

P.S. In a small victory, Eldest didn't once mention her phone last night. But this morning I discovered she jacked some other kid's phone during the day yesterday so she could message Sasquatch. (Well, "jacked" with permission; she didn't steal it or anything.) *sigh* I've gotta think about how to react to this, if at all. I may be better off to focus on the fact she worked on her grades. Any of you have thoughts on this?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

was it a Sprint phone?

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for a while but have never posted. As the Mom of a 20 year old girl/woman/child, I would only say pick your battles. I swear - girls are so difficult :)

for a different kind of girl said...

I haven't had to deal with this kind of thing yet, but I kind of think I'd deal with it. I have no clues on how the dealing with it could be enforced, but, were it me, I'd like the kid to know there aren't necessarily any easy ways out, you know?

Also, seriously, that's a damn lot of hair...

Vodka Mom said...

listen - I am mixing us drinks right now, cause we are SO SO SO living the same life.

Do you want an olive in that???

MereCat said...

Well, there's this... If she worked on her grades and showed improvement, then motivation can work. You might think of giving her a phone (with rules of course) and if her grades fall, you can take it away. That's part of the deal. I don't know though. I wouldn't want it to look like you're caving. Your call on that one. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

DKC said...

I am not the one to give advice, since I count on you so much!!

The phone thing seems a little sneaky, but she also clearly has been trying on the grade front. I wouldn't let it go completely, but maybe not be too hard about it?

Monica said...

Okay, first off I agree with you on the hair.....but.....my son has the same hair! So I guess I should not comment there. We make him get hair cuts as a punishment.

Second I will take the string of C's any day of the week compared to the string of F's my son is bringing home.