Friday, February 20, 2009

mandate noncompliance

The saga continues. As I dropped a feverless Eldest off at school today, she left me with this parting shot:

Go die, Mom.

Wow.

I suppose I should try really hard not to die today. Because if I do the psychological counseling is going to be pricey.

The kid feels like a crapcicle, no doubt about it. I wish I didn't have to teach her everything the hard way.

6 comments:

Seriously said...

Wow. I suppose that, and I hate you, and you're the worst mom ever are inevitable eventually. Got one out of the way; check it off the list.

You are an easy target for her frustrations. She knows you aren't going anywhere and you are unconditional.

IMO, the most powerful lessons I have learned involved making mistakes and screwing up. She is a smart girl, she will surely catch on sooner than I did.

Be strong Mommy and open a bottle of wine. Or two.

Susan said...

You know, I remember wondering why I thought it was okay to be mean to my parents. I remember thinking of home as a safe haven, where you could vent at will and still be loved.

I can't wait until those days come around and bite me in the butt.

for a different kind of girl said...

Imagine the delight when she discovers later today that you didn't rush right out and do that!

I remember the first time I ever told my Mom I hated her. Took one time. Even today, she scares me too much to even THINK it, let alone say it!

Stay strong. I believe this will pay off in the end.

DKC said...

You can get through this. It may take copious amounts of alcohol, but you will make it.

Like the others have said - it's because she feels safe that she knows she can lash out at you. Probably not much help, but there it is.

Jen W said...

Ugh. I remember being mean to my parents when I was a teen and like Susan commented, I always wondered why I was doing it. On the up side, I eventually did turn it around and became quite fond of my mother.

LiteralDan said...

You should show her by faking your own death, then reappearing when she's 20 (and you're finally in the clear), just to see the look on her face.

That'll learn her.