Friday, February 13, 2009

miscellania

Sometimes you've just got to love donut Fridays at work.

I think this is a pretty good way to start the day when Friday the 13th happens in February.



*imagine a brilliant segue here*

Poor, poor Younger. Last night we were watching some of the Season 1 extras on our latest "Lost" DVD. They were talking about one of the Canadian actresses on the show and how they had to wait for her Visa to come through so she could shoot the pilot in Hawaii. First she said to me, "Why do they keep saying 'shoot the pilot'?" I said, "Well, the first show of any TV series is called the pilot. It's how they producers sell the show to a network and advertisers." Clearly having a V-8 moment, she said,"OHHHH. I kept thinking--they didn't shoot the pilot, he was snatched up by a monster." (In the event you don't watch "Lost", you should know that in the very first show--the pilot--there is a plane crash and the plane's pilot is snatched out of the cockpit by some unseen thing.) So it's true, they didn't shoot the pilot. *sigh* Younger's always had a bit of the ditsy.

Then they mentioned the actress's visa again. So Younger says, "Wait. Where is she from?" "Somewhere in Canada," I responded. "Well then, why are they waiting on her visa? Doesn't Canada have visas? How long does it take to get a visa?" Thinking she didn't fully understand the process of work visas, I explained, "If you are going to be employed in another country, you have to have a visa to work there. You can't just go work anywhere you want."

Younger was quiet for a moment.

Then she said, "I'm feeling very blond. I thought they meant 'visa' like a MasterCard. That also explains something at school. We are reading about the Holocaust and I was surprised to read that people were waiting on their visas back then. I didn't know they had credit cards then."

oh. my. god.

Can you believe she gets A's?

4 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

That is both adorable and a little scary, and has given me a glimpse into what the future holds with my oldest son!

Also, that donut looks damn delicious!

For Myself said...

She gets A's because she's willing to admit what she doesn't know.

Very cute. I also loved the segue; )

tonkelu said...

She gets points in my book for asking. So many people would be happy to not ask and not learn. Plus, she's only in the 8th grade- she'll get it.

DKC said...

Brilliant segue. Also, I love that she said she was having a "blond moment." Adorable.