Wednesday, April 29, 2009

notes from the aftermath

If you are bringing your kid clothing to wear in a psychiatric hospital, please note that the clothes cannot have drawstrings, belts or zippers and shoes cannot have shoestrings.

Swallow that thought.

It'll burn a nice hole in your stomach.

And can I just say ... WTH is a skinny kid supposed to wear when jeans, pajamas pants and sweats are out of the picture? Elastic stuff falls off her massive 93 pound frame. I'm off to Wal-Mart to troll for sweats and pajama pants without drawstrings, small enough to fit her. Do you think she'll hate me if I bring something from the Hannah Montana line?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Formerly anorexic and spent my 20's wearing kids size clothing...
Walmart has a "eh" selection of clothing in the girls department without graphics or logos, maybe yoga style pants?
If you want basic solids, try the boys department. You can usually grab sweats without drawstrings there.

Leslie said...

I thought of yoga pants but it's flipping freezing in the hospital and so she wants bulk. I was thinking boys sweats too.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... the thermals and fleece sets should be on clearance this time of year too. The only issue you might have with the boys sizes is height - I'm only 5'1" so it wasn't a problem for me :)

siskbert said...

boy's sweats with possibly light thermal pants as a layer. think of sporting goods stores too. they'll still have some of that stuff i think.

Bijoux said...

Oh dear God......thinking of you and hoping things get better.

Anonymous said...

Old Navy, Baby Gap and Target kids departments. My guess is that she could wear a size 14 or 16 in girls- which are the sizes I wore before I went inpatient.

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Not Baby Gap, Gap Kids. There's one on the Plaza I could run to if you'd like. SG has preschool tomorrow so I'll be in your area and could drop them off or you could pick them up from Mr. Tonks who doesn't work far from where Eldest is at.

Leslie said...

Tonks, I texted you. Thanks but I found a few things at Wally World. I'll see if she's set now when I see her tomorrow.

Susan said...

She is so blessed to have you there, finding ways to keep her warm and safe.

DKC said...

She is so blessed to have you. Even though she might not remember that all the time right now.

I wish there was more I could do or say - hopefully you know how many people are thinking of you and Eldest.

xoxo

Monica said...

My suggestion would be something I saw patients do a lot when I worked in the phych ward, wear the blankets and fuzzy socks.

At least she will be warm.