The weekend was ok. Eldest turned 16 on Saturday. Sweet eff'ing sixteen, right? She managed to get several gut punches from her real life. (For the record, I hate all teenagers. Officially.) So we just kind of laid low. No confrontation. No demands. We catered to what she likes...special trip to the bookstore, a few quiet hours with trusted friends, dinner out at one of her favorite places. It was a fine day, depressing, but fine.
Sunday was ok. It was Mother's Day; I wasn't in the mood for high drama and terror, so again, no confrontation, no demands. Don't want to go greet your grandmother and grandfather who have come to see you? Ok. Skip that step for six hours, they'll understand. Don't want to go to Mass? (Me neither, by the way, I'm a little pissed at the big Guy right now.) Ok. Just join us when we go out to eat? That worked.
Since then, it's been NOT ok. Monday I entered an alternate universe where I went to do in-take at County Mental Health. Why has it never crossed my mind that I would enter through those doors? With what may be the most bizarre sleep deprived, saddened, terrified thought to enter my brain in my life, I found myself thinking, "What does one wear when going to the County Mental Health office? Is that a jeans things or should I try to look nice...as in, NOT crazy?" Then I slapped myself upside the head and thought who gives a rat's ass what I wear?
Eldest melted down in the County in-take process. I don't want to describe it. It just sucks too much. I understand that she's scared. Me too, kiddo.
In the County meetings everything that could possibly be my fault, including the fall of democracy in Cuba and the fact that rain exists, was my fault. This is classic borderline;
borderline's split people. You are black or you are white; in other words, you are all bad or you are all good. Just call me the BLACK HOUSE. I'm as black as can possibly be. When I'm black there is nothing about me she can like or appreciate. I am Satan.
During my final wrap-up paper-work session of these eternal meetings, Eldest befriended some older couple in the lobby. When I came out she was happily, chirping away at them. All smiles and bubbles. The county-lady said, "Wow. Now she's partying it up." (It's not just me. Really. I feel the need to justify that.)
As we were driving home (oh, btw, just note that during this drive Eldest informed me that when she has kids, she's not going to let me see them...would you like to ride my roller coaster?), the hospital called my cell and suggested that they discharge Eldest. I swear to the big Guy that they are lucky I got us home in one piece. I quite nearly fell into a million pieces while driving. I ran up the stairs and called them back out of Eldest's hearing. I'm not sure exactly what I said but you could sum it up as "Fuck NO!" And then I felt like shit because who was I saying that for? Her? Or me? Guilt should go die.I never got to speak to humans at the hospital but got a cheery message that said something like, "No worries! Maybe we should have a family meeting Tuesday or Wednesday?" Uh. Ya think? (In their defense, they had no idea what a disaster the county meeting was. My call was the first time they were aware of looming problems.)
Monday evening Younger was confirmed. It was a nice time, even if I was in the Big Guy's house again. He still hasn't answered that "why" question I've got going on. Instead of submitting to looming drama, Car-man and I avoided our eldest daughter in the crowd. I think only about 5 people heard when she loudly uttered, "I hate my family." This was because we asked her to take a picture of Younger with the Archbishop. (She brought her camera, we didn't have ours, thinking she would proudly want to play the photographer with her 16th birthday present but nope, she didn't want to take the picture...something to do with lemonade. And no, we can't use her camera. I think I got a sorta decent picture on my phone. Whatever. The day is a fog for me and Younger only got confirmed because that's what she's supposed to do. She thinks I don't know; but I see. I appreciate the effort and she made her Nana happy.)
Today Eldest decided she'd had enough of the hospital. She decided she wouldn't go.
Perfect.
Do me a favor? Just leave me in the middle of the street and let people repeatedly run over me. It would be less painful.
We eventually got her there. I didn't even have to call the police (which is the way it was headed, at the hospital's advice). Instead I got to talk to the hospital personnel from my kitchen, dripping wet and naked but for a stupid towel (why do you always have a SMALL one when you really need the big fluffy one?) A nurse eventually convinced Eldest to come in (small steps). The 20 minute car ride was a joy. If you would like to hear 20 minutes of the meanest things a child can ever say to their mother, let me know. I'll let you ride along next time. I am changing my name to Punching Bag. No. Wait. BLACK Punching Bag. Catchy, no?
It's easy to know it's the disease. It's not so easy not to let all the snippets of truth inside what she says tear out my soul.
I'm headed in for family counseling later this afternoon.
And, hey, if there is a spot to vote for the most depressing blog ever, feel free to go nominate me.
12 comments:
Oh my God. This breaks my heart just to read it. I can't imagine what you must be feeling.
My husband's grandmother and her sister lived together their whole lives. Auntie had severe OCD and was abusive to grandma, who refused to take any action against auntie. In college, I worked for an MD whose wife developed Alzheimer's. He insisted on being her caretaker, and she eventually beat him to death with a fireplace poker.
How's that for the most depressing comment?
My point is that mental illness makes people do really awful things sometimes, and it's such a gruesome, unfair position to be a person who loves them. In spite of treatment and medication and love, they can still be horrible to be around, and it is often not their fault. And not their loved one's fault either.
You are a great mommy. You've given your girl love and understanding and turned cartwheels to protect her from herself when she needs it. It has to feel like such a thankless position -- it is one. However, I have great faith that you and your family will come through this with strength and intact.
I whine on my blog constantly. Truly. I am quite aware that I am the Wendy Whiner of the blogesphere. You, on the other hand, have really bad stuff going on in your life that you talk about with candor and grace. Your RL/online friends love you and hope for the best for you. We're always glad to "listen."
Thank you for the update - as hard as it is to write - I've been wondering about you all.
As Dibs' said - I also have a very strong belief in you and Car-man that you will come through this. It may not be soon, it may not be pretty - but I think she will come back to you, and be stronger for all you have done.
I'm purely echoing what's already been said. I can't imagine how hard this is on you and your family right now, but my faith (for what it's worth, because I have lots and lots of questions for God, too) makes me want to believe you're all going to come through this stronger. My hope is you find glimmers of peace in your heart as you all go about this effort.
Me too. What they said. I'm just heartbroken at what you're going through. And by "you" I mean all of you. Her. You. Youngest. Car Man. I hope you're able to look back on this and just take a deep breath that it's behind you very very soon.
And you're doing the right things. You know how I know? Because what you're doing is really hard. And if it were the easy way out - well that wouldn't be the right thing. Right?
I'm crying right now. Did you want to know that? Probably not. Nevermind, forget I said anything. And don't read my blog for a while.
It is so odd, that in the last few weeks I have this odd urge just to hold eldest and snuggle on the couch and whisper it will be okay in her ear.
I WISH I could hold and hug you too.
<3 <3 <3
I am glad you put up an update up. I have been worried.
I wish there was something I could do to help. Unfortunately I know I can not, it is something only parents can/have to deal with.
I know I complain constently about my son and his actions, I think that I have the worst derranged child in the world and then I read what you are going through. I am soo sorry for what you are going through.
=(
I don't pray much anymore...but I'm praying for you.
Just please, please, PLEASE...remember...it's not your fault. It's not anyone's fault. All someone in your position can do in a situation like this is to love her, and seek comfort in those who love you.
Hugs and kisses and happy thoughts.
Oy...I feel for you- so much :(
This is not the most depressing blog. It is actually hopeful. You keep hanging in there and hanging in there for your girls. All us moms know it's not easy.
My daughter announced at 13 that when she was a mom she would be much better than I was and she would not be anything like me (and she spelled it out so I was clear about all the mistakes I had made). Now she hugs me spontaneously and says I love you. There is hope and you have lots of support!
Keep doing what you're doing, Laggin. Bursts of energy to stand firm followed by times to refill your tank in whatever way you can. Hug Car Man and keep him close, too. You're an amazing woman.
This storm will absolutely pass. They all do.
Hugs.
Ditto to everything "For Myself" said.
I was thinking of you and eldest and this post some more. It occurred to me that if eldest is planning on having children, she's thinking of a future. I know, baby steps. Still, more hope.
Post a Comment