Friday, August 7, 2009

from the "wtf" files

We just got her schedule. Eldest's junior theology class is entitled "Catholic Moral Life".

Sometimes I seriously regret sending her to that school.

I think they are crossing this "moral life" into other topics. You see...her summer reading for English is "The Scarlet Letter". She is supposed to be annotating it for:
  • Sin, Punishment, and Forgiveness
  • Nature of Evil
  • Identity and Society
  • Public Guilt vs. Private Guilt
  • Limitations of Human Justice

She said to me, "I don't think I'm going to give them what they expect."

That's my girl!

I give you Lillian Gish as Hester Pyrnne, in a house...

11 comments:

MsPicketToYou said...

awesome indeed.

mzbehavin said...

Mixing Catholic Moral Life and The Scarlet Letter.... mmm....

I don't think I could give them what they were expecting either!!!!

You have a wise, daughter, there....

I'll be anxious to hear what she does with it.....

:-)

Anonymous said...

I'd like for her to raise her hand and ask the teacher his/ her opinions on what role patriarchal values played in administering punishments to women in the mid-19th century and how those *values* have continued to shape the way women are regarded as sexual beings (e.g. men who sleep around are "bachelors" whereas women are "sluts" and "whores").

Bijoux said...

I loved that book in high school! I'm not Catholic, so can't comment on the rest.

DKC said...

That's your girl! (And maybe a little bit ours too? Cause that comment is excellent.)

Amy said...

Good for her! And, good for you for raising her to use her noggin.

Zip n Tizzy said...

Hmm... seems apropos considering the material. Do you think they'll make her wear a scarlet R for Rebel?

Russ said...

I hated that book. It's what, 25 pages long, and I still bought the cliff notes.

Susan said...

Please, please! Get her permission to publish the essay here. I can't wait! Go girl!

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh I hope she doesn't give them what they expect.

Irish Gumbo said...

Boom! Good quip :)