Tuesday, November 10, 2009

100 years ago

In some ways my mom is so very awesome!  She sent this e-mail this morning to family and friends:

Remembering Mom-November 10, 1909


I know many of you are aware of today's date, but I wanted to mention it to those of you who she knew and loved. She was born 100 years ago today on November 10, 1909 and only missed observing it by three months. I feel we should celebrate today because this is the best day to remember her each year rather than that dreadful day in August. She always loved her day, and so do I. I hope you'll have a bit of cake or tip your glass (or coffee cup) too. The photo, taken in 1944, is just for fun.

I added to the e-mail: 

And if your cake is particularly sweet...comment that it is "too rich"! Be sure to drink your coffee black and scalding hot. Sanka is acceptable in a pinch. :)

Other options: have a lemon drop, dunk a cookie in a glass of milk or melt a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie.

I think I'll go with the pie.  It is absolutely delicious with cheese.

4 comments:

Dibs said...

Happy Birthday in heaven Laggin's grandma and Mrs. G's mom. Have a big piece of cake with my grandma -- she's got a sweet tooth and a taste for black coffee, too! :)

I love that her date of birth is 11/10/09.

Today is also my mother and my husband's birthday. Such a small world...

Bijoux said...

Beautiful photo and it's fun to "hear" what she liked or would have said!

justmakingourway said...

I love the picture - and the thoughts too. It's always nice to focus on those good memories.

Irish Gumbo said...

Very cool! That is a great picture.

and I know someone else with that b-day...;)