I received an e-mail TODAY, the last day of finals, asking for a bunch of documents to be filled out and a personal check-out meeting with me, Car-man and Eldest before they would release her transcript. They send this on the LAST FLIPPING DAY although I told them she was leaving in early November.
Most irritatingly of all...do you remember how they explained to me that after finals the semester was over and they could have no more responsibility for Eldest so she could not go on the mission trip that leaves this Thursday? But now, somehow, we still have some responsibility to them. I DON'T THINK SO.
This school makes me so mad I can't even think straight. And now I've just wasted almost two hours trying to calm down. Arrgh.
Here is my exchange with St. Pricey's Director of Development:
DOD,
No offense to you, but this message should have been received before Eldest's last day at school. Perhaps no one informed you of this decision until now but rest assured that others in the administration have known this since early November. If the school wanted us to meet in person, today was your last day. I was told that after finals the semester was over. In turn, after the semester was over, the school did not want responsibility for Eldest. This was the reasoning I was given for why she could not go on the Mission trip. In turn, I believe this means we no longer have any obligations to the school. I simply do not have any more time or heartache to waste on what has turned into a bad experience. Just typing this e-mail has me in tears.
I have answered your questions in brackets below.
We will drop off your things per the checklist. I told her to leave her computer today. I know we have to find the black computer case. We will do that and return it. Please let us know if there are any outstanding charges. But in light of my last discussions with Mr. Principal, the unresolved bullying Eldest has undergone and the invasions of her privacy by members of the staff, I would like to avoid any disputes over charges and unnecessary meetings. I expect that when the school's property is returned, her transcript will be timely forwarded.
None of this is aimed at you personally, but I am deeply disappointed in St. Pricey and the timing of this e-mail is not making me any happier.
Laggin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: DOD
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:02 AM
To: Laggin
Subject: Eldest's withdrawal
I talked to Eldest today to verify that she is withdrawing from St. Pricey. I'm so sorry to hear that and we do continue to wish her the best. In order to handle your student’s records with the importance they deserve, we need to complete certain documents. It is important that these authorizations are handled in the appropriate manner so the high school documents and progress toward meeting graduation requirements are appropriately tracked. Therefore, we will not forward your student’s file to their new school until the following items are appropriately handled. This is in accordance with our student handbook.
1. Please complete and return the Withdrawal Statement provided as soon as possible. Your authorization allows us to respond to the transferring school when they make inquiries about your student, before the formal transcript is prepared. [I have attached this. She is going to X's Independent Study High School. Her transcript should be sent to: ___.]
2. The Student Withdrawal Check Out I am enclosing just so you can see what info we review before the records are released. Please check each item and if there is something you know is missing or incomplete, please let me know plans for fulfilling them. Note that all departments must sign off on this checklist, and your Withdrawal Statement must be filed, before we are permitted to release the entire student record. This includes past due tuition, fees, and/or laptop repairs. [DOD, Promptly let us know what is missing and we will take care of our obligations. She hasn't used her locker since about the first week of school and has forgotten her combination. Feel free to throw away anything in it.]
3. We offer the opportunity for a check-out appointment including at least one of the student’s parents with a member of the administrative team. Student participation is optional. We find that some families are more comfortable discussing the student’s departure in person, so this time is available to you. If you choose to schedule, please call the front office at (913)254-4200. [We are done with meetings.]
Bloggies-The attached form actually required me to state that we WOULD have this meeting. I drew a big 'ole black line through that language.
4. We would appreciate your feedback about your experience at St. Pricey. In order that we can improve, please respond to the questions in the Exit Survey, enclosed, and return it as soon as possible by email, fax, US Mail, or at the check out appointment. As we grow it will be essential to know the reasons for student transfers and what changes should be considered to improve retention. Thanks for your help with this. [I decline to fill this out. At this stage I am still quite angry and I do not think this form will result in anything productive. Mr. Principal and Mr. Dean-of-Students have both talked to me.]
While some turnover of student enrollment is anticipated, we are grateful that St. Pricey has experienced minimal withdrawals. We continue to pray for your student’s success, and your family’s happiness. Thanks again for spending time on this faithful, academic journey with us.
Sincerely,
Director of Development & Student Recruitment

15 comments:
To bad it is all illegal and immature to go all stabbity on them. I'm glad it's done and she can move on.
too bad (gawd I hate typos)
why are some lessons so painful, and always learned with an accompanying *&%hole attached to it?
sending you a bit of peace. I hope.
I thought you handled that very, very well. In the most polite and professional manner possible, you told them to go fuck themselves. I love when people do that.
Wishing the best for Eldest's future...
It is my sincere hope that eldest can move on and get better elsewhere. It seems that the St Pricey only cares about the money vs keeping and helping students (as I personally have found out myself at other schools as well).
Kudos for keeping your wits about you when responding to their letters, don't know if I would/could at the point you are at.
Here's sending you and eldest a little bit of peace!
This makes me sigh in frustration that you had to go through this when someone, somewhere in the administration was aware of her leaving. I think you handled it as succinctly as it warranted, and hope you're feeling better about things tonight.
So sorry this has been such a painful experience for you. But (call me Pollyanna), your anger is such a wonderful thing for Eldest! Really validates all her feelings about the place. Best wishes for a much better new school experience for her. Lots of Christmas love and nice to see you back, Laggin. I've missed you!
Since terin is my second, I'll be yours. Let's go throw down at St. Pricey's. Assholes.
The last sentence in the letter from the DOD is obnoxious. It implies that if someone withdraws from the school, something must be wrong with her and that nothing could possibly be wrong with St. Pricey.
Stuck up SOB's.
One of my favorite cousins is a KC cop. He knows lots of really scary people. Maybe he could send some of them to visit at St. Pricey just to shake things up a bit. :) I like thinking about it, anyway...
Want me to see if I could convince my MIL (who has an entire jail of juvenile delinquents at her disposal) would be willing to do us a favor?
Well, I think you handled that with your usual grace and class, Laggin. I'm sorry you - and Eldest - had to deal with all that you did. But you're free of it now and they can go screw!
crap. crap. crap. CRAP. shit.
i've missed too much...
ok. back. what the holy hell?
also: so glad you're her mom.
(facepalm)
And I agree, that is a stupid house.
Post a Comment