Today was "National Coming Out Day". It was also "Ally Day"...a day to identify yourself as someone who is supporting and accepting of those in the LGBT community...a day to tell others that you are a safe person. A day when lesbian/gay teens might discover an adult in their life who will be an ally.
So, on National Coming Out/Ally day...I'm saying that I'm the mother of a member of this community. Not long after Eldest was discharged from the hospital last year she began to date another girl. They have dated on and off for about a year and half. I haven't said that she's a lesbian because she's not sure what she wants to call herself. Sometimes it's "bi", sometimes its "omnisexual" (which makes me groan because it's so...I don't know the right word...but it's just SO...sincere? Over the top?), sometimes it's lesbian. But the word doesn't really matter.
I've not talked about this here because it is Eldest's thing to tell. But recently she came out to my parents. Yes, my parents. I know. Think about that a moment. But my parents did me proud, they hugged her and told her they would love her no matter what. It was perfect. Since then Dad and I have discussed it and he was--as usual--awesome. Mom and I haven't discussed it, which means she's not so ok with it but I have to respect and appreciate that she is keeping her opinions to herself.
So since Eldest is talking about it, I felt that I could start to talk about it here.
This is part of the reason for my silence. I felt like I could not be honest when I couldn't talk about ALL the things going on. But since I feel a little freer to talk...and since I finally decided I would write about it here...the writers block went away.
Yeah. So it's another rainbow house kind of day.

11 comments:
Well, as long as you don't go and paint your house like a rainbow, it's all good.
(And when, exactly, did rainbows become a gay thing?)
Oh well. :)
And yes, I have time for a project for you. I always have time for friends! Just email me and let me know what you have in mind.
Hugs!
this just makes me smile. and i'm awfully glad to be an ally.
the "comment deleted" above was mine. after commenting, i was so inspired i posted about the day and wanted to let you know.
Our school just lost a young student who killed herself because she feared coming out to her friends and community. So tragic that there are so many who are made to feel that they should be something other than who they are.
I think your daughter must be so incredibly awesome. I don't even know what to say beyond that...other than I hope we get to a day when everyone feels like they are safe and supported no matter who they love.
My motto is to love the person for who he/she is on the inside. This is especially true of teens who tend to change their philosphy, clothing styles and hair color on a weekly basis. And yes, sometimes their sexuality as well.
Laggin, you've been through quite the year. I'm thinking of you and hoping that your house becomes a truly happy one in 2011. HUGS!
Good for Eldest! How lucky she is to have such a supporting family. :)
As always, you make me proud to be your friend. I love the way you shared this, and I'm thrilled that Eldest is doing so well in so many aspects of her life. I imagine your mom is dealing about the way my mom would be dealing... but God bless her for holding her tongue! You all get 5/5's from me ;D
You know this, and Eldest knows this, but, I'm really proud of her. Not just for standing up and being comfortable with who she is but because she's done really well, especially the last few months. I'm delighted to get to have you both (Youngest, too!) as friends. :)
I know it may sound silly, since I really don't "know" you, know you - but I have to say - I am so proud of Eldest. And of you, Carman, Younger, your parents and everyone else that is supporting her.
I didn't know about Ally day, but I'm very happy to be part of that support network!
xo
That was all sorts of awesome. Having members of the LGBT community in my own family, while growing up in a place where it was definitely NOT cool with most people, taught me a lot about respecting and loving people for who they are as human beings, not as cultural constructs.
My Uncle Harry served in was gay. He also served in honorably in Vietnam, was loved and one of the nicest human beings I've ever known. And he didn't deserve some of the crap that I'm sure was thrown at him for being gay.
Post a Comment