Tuesday, May 31, 2011

a post in which I do not wax quite as elegant as Dr. Cosby on the subject of pudding

Despite the best efforts of this day...I am having a good one.  The proof is in the pudding:*

Exhibit 1.  Immediately upon waking...after checking my e-mail...the skies opened up in yet another storm.  But instead of lamenting yet another storm.  I laid there and enjoyed the sound and let my mind drift.  It was nice...in fact darn pleasant.

Exhibit 2.  I had to take my defective router back to my ISP's office at 9...blowing a timely start to my work day all to hell.  After waiting for the customers ahead of me and getting my new router (which I am pretty sure is not the problem but whatever...), I went out to the parking lot and, while sitting in my car, someone backed into me.  I let out as fine a string of expletives as can be created in a moment of shock.  But, it turns out, there was no damage to my car.

Exhibit 3.  As I headed on my drive to the office at 9:30 (*sigh*), I got caught in a huge snarl of traffic.  After 9:30????  And I sat there thinking GRRR... I'm never going to get anything done today.  But as I came around the curve at a pace under 1 mph, I realized there was a massive accident...people had been extracted from these vehicles.  It was a universal slap upside the noggin reminding me that my worries are entirely petty.

Exhibit 4.  As I arrived at my office, I suddenly realized that when I had last been in my office I was dealing with my final equity check from my former law firm (they've held my money hostage for three bleeping years) and then tornadoes were whirling about and...oh.my.hell. Where is my check?  After about 10 heart-stopping minutes, of not finding it, I discovered my assistant had put it in my drawer.  Bless her.

Exhibit 5.  On Friday, when I was out of the office, one of my cases had 145 pages of briefing filed, to which I must respond in 17 days.  I was contemplating banging my head against the wall (because this particular set of attorneys is not known for an engaging style of writing), when I received an e-mail from someone else on the case saying that she was out of town for much of our response time and would I mind if she requested a 30 days extension.  Woo hoo!  Perhaps this will just extend the misery.  But responding to 145 pages in 17 days (3 of which are already gone, 4 of which are the next two weekends and on 2 of which I'm supposed to be conducting my final move from the house), would mean 12 hour days.  And I just can't do that right now.  The mental stamina has not yet fully returned.

Exhibit 6.  Despite yet another storm this morning, it has been a completely beautiful day, non-humid day.  I enjoyed a walk at lunch and, were I not suffering from sunburn,** I would have found a way to spend the afternoon outside reading the 145 pages.  Instead, I think it will be read over an extended breakfast in the morning.

So, despite the best efforts of this day to make me suffer, I am still smiling.  And it's a goofy smile too.

*Perhaps you are a total word geek, like me, and you suddenly HAVE TO and MUST know where this phrase comes from or YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY DIE.  And because I care about you, I will share one of the dark secrets of my word-geeky existence here.  Don't judge.

**Do not give me a book and leave me in the sun.  I lose track of time inside books.

The picture way up yonder, dear Internets, is a pudding house.  Yes.  It is.  Don't argue with me.  A pudding house.  And therein lies the proof.

Photo from here.

3 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

That sounds like a good day! The Universe is a funny place...funny-peculiar and funny-haha. And you learned me sump'n with that link (grin)

Speaking of happy expressions, seems like goofy smiles are catching, it was that kind of day here, too :)

Bijoux said...

Despite your positive outlook, I hope today is 'event free.'

And cash the check asap!

Russ said...

Not only will I not judge you, but I am one of those people too. I had a book (before I moved to NC and it got lost in the move) called 'Horsefeathers' and it was all about sayings and how they originated.