Last Saturday evening I was at a party at a yoga friend's house. Several people were there from our class, including one of the few men who come to these classes. We shall call him Mark. I've seen him before, but we don't regularly attend the same classes.

Our hostess was introducing non-yoga people to yoga people and she said, "Mark, you know Laggin from classes, right?" And I could tell from his face he didn't remember me. He quickly quipped, "Show me your down dog." And the yoga-goers all cracked up.
An aside for those of you who don't know yoga. This is a picture of the pose called "down facing dog." We spend a lot of time like this. For obvious reasons, men are engaged by both the pose and name of it. And for anyone with a bawdy sense of humor, it's a general point of funny. Our yoga crew is a bit irreverent and we pretty regularly joke about this stuff.
Anyhow, there stood all the yoga-ites, cracking up, because, yes, Mark would probably know my ass better than my face.
I glanced over at the non-yoga men standing in our group. They appeared awestruck.
I could actually see thought-bubbles over their heads. I'm pretty sure this was the progression of thoughts that scrolled through their brains:
- "That guy is joking about looking at her ass."
- "The women think it's funny?"
- "The women think it's funny!"
- "That guy gets to look at ass in yoga class."
- "Hey, why is it I don't want to go to yoga class?"
I think Mark became their demi-god in that moment. And I think we might be seeing some of them at class.

3 comments:
Ha ha! Just picturing the looks on their faces.
I'm in between yoga -- did it regularly with my husband 30 years ago. Planning a trip next month which involves daily yoga classes, can't wait. Seeing the picture I remember how good that pose feels.
I miss yoga.
Post a Comment