On the whole she's doing okay. It's not normal but it's become my normal, so I don't feel like I'm just operating in survival mode all the time.
Anyhow, this past weekend Eldest had her girlfriend and another friend over. The two friends disappeared upstairs. We could hear them laughing and giggling. It made Eldest more and more upset. I encouraged her to go join them. She tried. She said they were ignoring her. I don't know; I wasn't there. I thought the friends were being pretty rude but I also know that Eldest's dramatic tendencies can make things much, much worse.
Eventually, Eldest blew. This was about the time I picked up pizza to feed everyone. I called down the friends and Younger for dinner. When they asked, I explained that Eldest had gone on a walk because she felt she was being ignored.
The two friends sat in the living room eating pizza talking about Eldest. They tried to engage me in the smack talk. I commented that Eldest is less than stable these days and we all have to be careful. But I let Eldest's girlfriend know that I was not getting in the middle and I did not need more drama. So they apparently decided to just talk amongst themselves about Eldest--referring to her as crazy--as though Younger and I were not standing the kitchen about 20 feet away. I was hurt and stunned. I like Eldest's girlfriend, but I sure didn't like how this was looking. I don't like the other friend. At all.
![]() |
| Our place...in the style of frozen. |
I was stunned with pride. That girl has incredible gumption.
Later, after the storm had blown over and all was better, the friends told Eldest of Younger's explosion. Of how they had been wrong and Younger had set them straight. They told Eldest that Younger was awesome. Eldest took off up the stairs to love on her brave little sister.
I stopped in Younger's room later in the evening to let her know that I was proud . . . to tell her she was brave . . . to tell her she did what I hadn't thought to do . . . to tell her, her sister is so lucky to have Younger on her side.
Man. I love these girls.

14 comments:
Blood truly is thicker than water. Our family often gets the brunt of the best and the worst of us.
Good for youngest :) :)
That's the kind of thing I'm trying to instill in my children. They need to stick up for each other. They need to be there for each other. They should rely on each other.
The irony of the above statement, I don't feel like I can do that with my own sister.
Sibling love!
When the boy starts his roller coaster ride here the girls run and hide. BUT if someone outside the house crossses the boy watch out the girls get their growl on. It doesn't matter that the offender is bigger then they, the girls comes out with claws.
But unfortunately the boys doesn't recipricate that. still working on it.
Sorry to hear your back on the ride, have been there lately ourselves.
Younger IS awesome! Hands down.
That is totally awesome! The one thing I will say about my kids is that they really do stick together and look out for each other. Thank you Jesus!
I know from that stick-togetherness. Youngest got some steel in her, I reckon.
And that is a wonderful thing.
Exactly what I needed.
Also: never doubted Younger.
Printed this to read to my girls.
"I born you a best friend," I keep thinking.
So proud of you, mama. So proud.
I'm so glad this ended well. I was really worried. girls can be so MEAN. I'm glad Youngest stood up. I would have done the same for my sisters. I hope my daughters would defend each other. I'd like to think they would.
way to go Younger!!
the hardest thing to do is stand up for others.
not much more needs to be said!
I love how our children show their inner person and make it stronger every day.
Can I just tell you how happy I am that Younger is the How To Be a Teenager example for my children? So glad she's a part of our family's life!
Gotta love girls with gumption! Way to go little sister!
I have so much to catch up on, but I'm happy this was the post to greet me. Younger rocks. Siblings know the way it is. My brother may have tormented me when we were young, but when the neighborhood bully kicked me in the shin you better believe my brother was the first one to go after him.
Good for her!
And good for you! - I've been catching up on my reading and you have made some amazing moves!
I know the past few years have been really challenging (understatement) but I admire the way you've been handling it.
Growing - Is that what they call it?
Nice to be along for the ride.
Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment