Saturday, March 1, 2008

awkward

Well, I've diving into the world of hosting a teen party. Sigh.

Just 6-10 p.m., pizza, pop and some Wii/Playstation in the basement. There's about 16 of them. Ugh.

I've always wanted to be a house where the kids were comfortable hanging out. So we just created a hang-out in the basement. A "beach house"--that's the theme they wanted since they were both born in California. But this is agony. Ten may never get here.

The drama of kids these ages cracks me up. They've been in and out--in the basement and playing flashlight/cell phone tag in the backyard. A few minutes ago the best-friend (S) of my eldest came in and I heard eldest yell, "S, you're not going home are you?" So I asked S, "What's up? There a problem?" S says, "The only thing more irritating than being with A [another friend of theirs who is not here tonight--DIFFERENT drama] and two boys, is being with eldest and one boy." Uh oh. Didn't we just have a break-up at our house? So much for that "being single" for awhile thing.

So here's what's awkward . . . the ex-boyfriend AND this new boy are BOTH here. Goodness.

Here's what's doubly awkward . . . everyone came inside except eldest and new boy. They were sitting on a blanket in the backyard (it was unseasonably warm here today). AAAARGH! I finally had to make her come in under the pretense of being a "hostess." I am NOT ready for this. I am NOT cool enough to handle this. I want to grab her and wrap her up in a receiving blanket and force her to be my little baby again.

Tonight you get a freaked-out house. (Except I can't get pictures to load so I'll do it some other time.)

3 comments:

Cierra Theriac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cierra Theriac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seriously said...

Yikes! I am going to have nightmares!