Sunday, March 16, 2008

lovely little bits

I have been reading "Eat, pray, love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. Here are some bits sticking me:

  • "Just as there exists in writing a literal truth and a poetic truth, there also exists in a human being a literal anatomy and a poetic anatomy. One, you can see; one, you cannot. One is made of bones and teeth and flesh; the other is made of energy and memory and faith. But they are both equally true."
  • "The other day in prayer I said to God, 'Look--I understand that an unexamined life is not worth living, but do you think I could have an unexamined LUNCH?'"
  • And this so closely reminds me of someone I brought into the world that it literally sucked the breathe out of me: "Nick, my nephew, is an eight-year-old boy, skinny for his age, scarily smart, frighteningly astute, sensitive and complex. Even minutes after his birth, amid all the squalling newborns in the nursery, he alone was not crying, but looking around with adult, wordly and worried eyes, looking as though he'd done all this before so many times and wasn't sure how excited he felt about having to do it again. This is a child for whom life is never simple, a child who hears and sees and feels everything intensely, a child who can be overcome by emotion so fast sometimes that it unnerves us all. I love this boy so deeply and protectively."
  • "And I was sure of this, too--that the rules of trancendence insist that you will not advance even one inch closer to divinity as long as you cling to even one last seductive thread of blame. As smoking is to the lungs, so is resentment to the soul; even one puff of it is bad for you. I mean, what kind of prayer is this to imbibe--'Give us this day our daily grudge'? You might just as well hang it up and kiss God good-bye if you really need to keep blaming someone else for your own life's limitations."
  • "The best we can do, then, in response to our incomprehensible and dangerous world, is to practice holding equilibrium internally--no matter what insanisty is transpiring out there. [Para.]. 'You want to stay near the core of the thing--right in the hub of the wheel--not out at the edges where all the wild whirling takes place, where you can get frayed and crazy.'"
  • "To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life."
  • "We get seduced by our own mantras (I'm a failure . . . I'm lonely . . . I'm a failure . . . I'm lonely . . . ) and we become monuments to them."
  • " . . . I was not rescued by a prince; I was the administrator of my own rescue."

1 comment:

Irish Gumbo said...

Good quotes. Some very interesting nuggets there.