Wednesday, May 21, 2008

i'm just not THIS catholic

My kids have always been public school kids. I believe in public education and am a huge supporter of it. I am a product of public education. It served me well. My husband also grew up in public schools. His dad sat on their school board. However, for reasons related solely to Eldest and her needs, we decided to send her to a new, small Catholic high school in our community. It's been the right choice for her.

I grew up Catholic. But no one in my family has ever gone to Catholic schools. So in some sense, I guess I've missed out on a lot of Catholicism. I think I'm happy for that. I don't "get" a lot of the stuff that I learn about from Eldest's education.

One example of my puzzlement is exemplified by a recent e-mail from the school:
Dear St. School Community, Join us Sunday, May 25 at 3:00 p.m. at *** Stadium for an afternoon of Eucharistic Adoration and Global Living Rosary. This will be a dynamic spiritual day! The gates will open at 2:00 p.m. Please encourage your students to wear their red St. School “Serve Day” t-shirts and find a seat under the “St. School School” banner. Brochures are available in the school office. You can also visit www.eucharisticfamilyrosary.com. Everyone is welcome!

Um . . . we're supposed to go to a major league sports stadium and pray the rosary? Why? I don't get this. Not one little bit. Today, you get a house of God.

1 comment:

Seriously said...

Huh.

Goes past anything we ever did. I remember getting invited to the cathedral on occasion for rosaries, but that's all. We had many masses at school, but generally small, by class.

Of course, I could be blocking things out. I do that sometimes.