Thursday, June 26, 2008

in follow-up

This post will wrap up some stuff I've been writing about the last couple of days:
  1. I talked to Eldest about the whole texting-pictures thing. We were having a great heart-to-heart talk over dinner (just the two of us as Car-man as at a business conference and Younger was spending the night with a friend). I brought up the fact that sometimes you can do things in life that come back and haunt you. I commented that a good tool for decision-making is thinking about whether something can come back and haunt you. That lead gently into the issue. And when I point-blank brought up the fact that some kids do text naked/seductive pictures, she got an absolutely horrified look on her face. This kid is a good liar, but if that wasn't a genuine reaction, then she should get an Oscar.
  2. This conversation started me thinking about a high school boyfriend I had. He was a photographer. He was on the newspaper/yearbook staff and also did artsy stuff. He was ALWAYS trying to get me to pose for him. He did do some portrait stuff for one of his classes (they were good enough that my parents had them hanging in the house I grew up in for YEARS). But he wanted to do "more". Can I just tell you how glad I am that I said no? That may be the only truly SMART thing I did in relation to this particular boy. MAN he was bad news.
  3. Oh, and because my entire teen-parenting motto is "Trust, but verify," I've verified what she tells me about texting. I got my hands on her phone. She has about a million pictures on it. I'm pleased to say that the most graphic one (other than Boyfrondo sans shirt) is one of her knee bleeding profusely. (She had a bad bike accident a couple of weeks ago and ripped up her leg. She apparently felt the need to text a picture of the bloody-hamburger leg to Boyfrondo. How very sexy.) Can I have a collective sigh of relief, please?
  4. Warning, this next bit is a bit . . . vain? Silly? I don't know. But it's exciting in a dumb, female way. So yesterday's post was about the chickadees commenting on how I used to look. The change is due to a recent weight loss of around 30 pounds. Tomorrow we are having a "jeans Friday" at my new job (we get to pay $5 for the privilege of wearing jeans to raise money for a charity). But NONE of my jeans fit anymore. Never being one to pass up an opportunity to show, I decided to see if I could find new jeans last night. After dinner, Eldest and I stopped at Stein Mart to look at jeans. Eldest convinced me to try on skinny jeans. I've NEVER worn them because they've just never been flattering on me--even back in my teen years when Guess jeans were so cool. I couldn't wear them. So I grabbed a pair along with other more typical straight leg and boot cut pairs. Guess what? Those skinny jeans looked pretty darn good. AND guess what else? They were the least expensive pair in the bunch I tried on. So I bought them. While stupid, this is rather exciting. I'm looking forward to rocking those jeans tomorrow. I think I'll have to set up a date night with Car-man, no?

That's all. Off to a CLE this afternoon. Blah.

2 comments:

Seriously said...

Yeah
Yeah
Letting out deep breath
Congratulations!!!!

Seriously said...

sorry, should be Yay! Yay!

I ALWAYS write that one wrong...