Wednesday, June 25, 2008

aren't they just the sweetest little things?

Last night after I got home from work, I was bustling about getting food on the table for the girls, Boyfrondo and myself. The three of them were in the kitchen helping.

Eldest piped up . . . "Oh, Mom! We found an old picture of you and we cannot believe how fat you were." Boyfrondo looked utterly shocked and giggled nervously. (Kudos to the boy for recognizing the kind of thing that will get a man in SERIOUS trouble with women. I could have done without the giggling though. He'd clearly seen the picture.) Younger, recognizing the social gaff but acknowledging the truth in her sister's words, said, "You look so much better now, Mom. It's hard to believe the difference." Then Eldest realized she'd been kind of offensive (although a smart cookie, she's not always the picture of social grace due to her learning disabilities) and began prattling on about how it was so good, so healthy, how I looked so young now, blah, blah, blah. Then Younger, ever the joker, went the route of the comedy routine and offered, "I liked you better before, Mom. You were a much better pillow. You're not soft anymore."

Gee thanks. Gotta love kids. They'll keep you honest. Hopefully, they'll also keep me less fat.

Later they showed me the picture. It was taken on Christmas Day and it was horrid. I think I need to print it and keep it on the refrigerator. That should help me keep off the pounds!

Today it's the fat house!

5 comments:

Seriously said...

My kiddos love to point out every flaw I have. The girl child was criticizing my nose the other day. Sweet girl.

tonkelu said...

Wow! Kudos to you for not declaring them all assholes and locking yourself in your room.

Leslie said...

Well, they were speaking the truth. That picture is mortifying.

Seriously said...

and last night the boy kept commenting on how scratchy and ouchy my legs are...

(then quit rubbing then against the grain -or all together- Duh!)

mathgeek said...

My boys like to remind me how much more smooth velo-dude's legs are than mine.

Laggin, you look gorgeous and you rock, but you were not "horrid" before!