Monday, June 23, 2008

sisters

Last night Eldest returned from nine days out of town. She seemed genuinely pleased to see us again. Shocking, I know.

I got hugs! Be still my poor, sad, cold mommy-of-teenagers heart.

At some point in the evening, Eldest and Younger were upstairs having a girls' chat. I love it when they do this. I always wanted a sister; a confidante at home. So its thrills me to see them being friends. Cuz mostly? They still try to kill each other daily.

Back to the warm and tender moment . . . they were chatting away. Then I heard:

"GIVE ME BACK MY CELL PHONE!!!! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU . . . "

This shriek was immediately followed by a thunderous herd of elephants charging through the second-story hallway and down the stairs. The leading elephant screeched to a halt in front of me (I was quietly folding a Mt. Everest of laundry). The arm of this elephant (a/k/a Younger) was holding out her sister's open cell phone. I focused on it slowly (old eyes, you know). It was displaying a picture.

It was a picture of Boyfrondo. He was standing before a mirror, holding out his phone to take a picture of himself--seemingly to text said picture to my daughter. In this picture he was sans shirt. This was done, apparently, so Eldest could see his rock-hard eight-pack. (He's football conditioning this summer.)

Shortly the photo was also displayed for Car-man. He looked kind of green. Eldest realized that there was no point in beating on her sister. We'd seen the picture. No one screamed at her. (I mean it's just a shirt, right? And he's a GUY. Guys can go around without their shirts.) The elephants wandered back upstairs.

I looked at Car-man and he said, "Times have changed."

I said, "I wonder what she's texting him?"

Car-man left the room. I'm pretty sure he was looking for a stiff drink.

Today you get a house of mirrors!

9 comments:

tonkelu said...

I wonder what she's texting him?
That may be true but it's so, so wrong.

Leslie said...

No shit, Tonks! I'm just waiting for the moment I can talk to her about it. I didn't want to take it up there in the middle of the family moment.

This issue is one that'll have to be approached carefully. It has the potential to be ugly. I don't want it going that way. And Car-man's participation in the conversation would be SURE to make it go the wrong way. Cuz he'd freak out all over her in his quiet, freaked out kinda way. (Which is very different from my loud freaked out moments. But she is much more afraid of his freaked than she is mine.)

Anonymous said...

This may fall into the: things you don't want to know pile...but - the way Sprint works, any picture you take with your camera phone and email is saved in sent items on Sprint Picture Mail on the web. I don't know about Verizon or whoever your carrier is, but I suspect they have something similar.

Perhaps Eldest doesn't know about the web side of things and mommy could set up her password and check in on pictures sent and received...

Leslie said...

Wow. Falstaff is a genius. Who'da thunk? (Really. Thanks. It's a good idea.)

Seriously said...

Oh that is right up spy-mommy's alley.

All I can say is Yikes!

This would have to go into things I don't want to know pile, with a serious chat about appropriateness and reputation.

Leslie said...

You know all, I'm currently deceiving myself into thinking that she wouldn't e-mail him inappropriate pictures. But it's worth checking into and talking about.

Seriously said...

I would hope not, and I can't imagine so... but kids do stupid things without thinking through the consequences.

Hopefully she is smarter than that.

Anonymous said...

be careful what network you're on when you're doing your research! hopefully you won't find anything...but if you do, there are laws that make possession of that sort of thing a crime based on her age. i wouldn't do it at work.

tonkelu said...

I was stupid enough to play strip poker in our basement with a group of friends while my mom was home my sophomore year of high school. Man was she pissed!

We all do stupid stuff...now it's just readily available for the whole damn world to see, mock and comment.