- Remember the nine-year-old cutie who sang during the Olympic opening ceremonies? Turns out she is REALLY cute, SO cute that she was a lip-syncher. The real singer, a brilliant seven-year-old vocalist, wasn't cute enough to represent China on international TV. She won the vocal contest but they had to hide her? This should disturb us all.
- Have you heard the new Kraft cheese ads? They talk about their "new" cheese product which is made from 100% milk. Um. Is this really a good marketing tactic? Seems to me that this campaign just points out that Kraft's other cheese is not made from 100% milk. Now don't get me wrong. We all realize that there is little difference between Kraft's processed cheese slices and the little plastic wrappers encasing them. But still . . . I didn't really need the disturbing reminder.

- I'm personally disturbed by the fact I have a kid starting her sophomore year of high school today. I AM NOT old enough for this. *big huffy breathe* We're just going to pretend I gave birth to her when I was 15. M'kay? End of topic.
- Still disturbing, but oh, so much better is the whole teen-heartbreak thing. Eldest and Boyfrondo are back on. Which is . . . fine? (Yeah, yeah. I worried too much.) UNdisturbing have been Eldest's personal development and decision-making through this process. She certainly ain't perfect. But yesterday was a bright spot . . . she spent all day with friends other than him. She changed the Facebook password she had shared with him. (I suppose that is this generation's version of giving out your locker combination.) And for much of this
improvement, I have Tonkelu to thank. Bless you girl. You WERE the deciding factor in the password debacle. (Nah, Eldest won't admit that--she didn't even tell me you messaged her--but, being spy-mama, I figured out her motivations all by my big-self.) So, Tonkelu? I owe you one, cuz she sure wouldn't listen to me. Gimme a shout in 12 years when your Barbie-lovin'-gal is 15!
It's a cheese house . . . probably NOT made from 100% milk.
9 comments:
I know, I was freaked out by the lip syncher as well. Can you imagine the fall out in the US? Yet both these Chinese girls said they were just happy to serve their nation.
Also, cute uniform on your daughter. The town I grew up in just instituted the policy and everyone is all a-twitter about the deal. Do you like it?
Shonda--She's actually in a private high school. I wish she had a uniform when in public school. She and I both LOVE the uniform. She can do three different colors of polo (navy, burgundy or white), long or short sleeves.
I'm truly appalled at how the international patriarchy works. The real singer wasn't cute? She's adorable! As for the lip syncer (sp?), she's cute but it's more in a manufactured sort of way- kind of like little girls in pageants. With no make-up, they're little dolls. Cake 'em up with foundation and eye shadow and they look a bit scary.
I can't take any credit for Eldest's decision but am relieved that she changed her password. Hopefully she finds herself a nice, private school boy to have a crush on. Or maybe she could just cease dating for a bit. Ah, I can dream.
Well, I don't know that we can blame the patriarchy for the singer . . . have you met any stage mothers recently? Or, as Car-man called "those" mothers at our kids' grade-school: the Cheerleader-Moms. My point: the matriarchy can be equally evil.
If this teaches her to be stronger and smarter and to stick up for herself, then it was well worth it (Again says the mom with no teenagers. Shut up I'll get there.)
I have no kids, but now I know why. I don't want any eldest problems. Or youngest. Or password sharing. Or the clap. I especially don't want that. But I do want chocolate. oops. Back to House.
i think we should send all our fake cheese to China. i am officially over China. and Russia.
Okay, let's talk feeling old...I had lunch with my almost 24 year old professional nurse and then registered my junior and freshman for high school tonight! I need a margarita...
the matriarchy can be equally evil
Yes, but who reinforces those ideas? What's the word I'm looking for? Where's delagar when I need her...
Post a Comment