Monday, August 18, 2008

with a little help from my friends

So, with a little help from my friends*, I put together what I think is a pretty good playlist of "recovery music" for Eldest. It's starts reminiscent and sad, it heads right into some great angry, pissed off music and returns to get over it, feel good about yourself stuff. It ends oddly, but she adores "Amazing Grace" and I had an adoration of Ladysmith Black Mambaza period (thank you, Sting), so it was a good compromise finale.

What do you think?

Everybody Hurts—R.E.M.
Damaged People—U2
Broken—Lifehouse
Slow Dancing In a Burning Room—John Mayer
The Long And Winding Road—The Beatles
Nothing Better—The Postal Service
Breathe—Michelle Branch
Break Away—Rick Cowling
Circle—Sarah McLachlan
How's It Going to Be—Third Eye Blind
My Happy Ending—Avril Lavigne
Broken—12 Stones
All These Things That I've Done—The Killers
The Pretender—Foo Fighters
The Breakup Song—American Hi-Fi
Never Again—Kelly Clarkson
Song for the Dumped—Ben Folds Five
Since U Been Gone—Kelly Clarkson
Stuck in the Middle with You—Stealers Wheel
Over it—Katharine McPhee
Goodbye to You—Michelle Branch
Let Me Go—3 Doors Down
Better Days—Goo Goo Dolls
Unwritten—Natasha Bedingfield
Put Your Records On—Corinne Bailey Rae
Least Complicated—Indigo Girls
Suddenly I See—KT Tunstal
Beautiful—Christina Aguilera
Age Six Racer—Dashboard Confessional
Amazing Grace—Ladysmith Black Mambazo

She's started listening to it and kept saying, "I love this song!" "These lyrics are perfect!" "Mom, this song says 'fuck'?!?" Why is it that they think we are so darn clueless? And, yeah, I understand she needs to to say "fuck you" really, really loud about 500 times before she feels better. I mean he broke up with her by TEXT MESSAGE, for goodness sake. (Tonkelu--13 years my junior--recommended the "fuck you" screaming Ben Folds Five song, but I'm proud to say I already knew about it.) And when Eldest saw it on the list she said, "Where did you get a Ben Folds Five song? You're a MOM, you're not supposed to know about them."

I'd say I owe my mother an apology, but I promise, she never could have pulled this off for me. She quit listening to new music right about the time Barbara Streisand and Helen Reddy made it big. She never even bothered with the Beatles. She skipped from big band, via Elvis, to elevator music. My punk phase terrified her.

It's an MTV house.

*Sorry. Couldn't avoid the cheesy musical reference.

4 comments:

Seriously said...

I think that the fact that you made your daughter a "mix tape" rawks! majorly.

And they definitely need a reality check that we are NOT old and decrepit. We made mix tapes off of RECORDS, way before iTunes was even a glimmer in someone's eye.

MsPicketToYou said...

try this one: Jenny Owen Youngs "F*** Was I Thinking"

It's brilliant and angry and great.

Typically, I would go straight to the Rumours record but that was more "woe is me" then helpful.

Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I recognized the Real World house before reading the description. I was rescued by the simple fact that I couldn't place it in a given season. (yes, it's a show that my wife watches, yes, I will watch it, too, yes, we have 10 tvs so I could go somewhere else and watch the Big Ten Network or the latest dangerous job reality tv offering by Discovery/NatGeo/Science, etc.)

and the 'mix tape' brings back Fast Times at Ridgemont High memories for me...

Anonymous said...

HE DUMPED HER VIA TEXT? Prick.

I'm delighted you went with Song for the Dumped. I find it's an excellent song for venting frustration on a variety of levels.

Excellent list, Mom. Truly...can I get a copy? ;)