This particular school's method of holding conferences always seems ludicrous to me. The teachers are all in the gym at little tables. Parents walk around and get about 2.3 minutes with each teacher. And what is the purpose of this? To be handed a grade sheet...that they've already e-mailed me...and to have all the parents standing around the table waiting for their turn, strain not to listen in. Not a very useful exercise overall.
Now when I did this gig for Eldest there was a purpose, at each table I said, "Let's schedule a special meeting, no?" And the teachers always gave me a wry smile (sort of like, "Phew. Oh good. She understands that we need to talk about Eldest). But with Younger this is how it goes:
- Math table...She's got a 98.7. She only missed 1/2 a point on the last test. She innately understands math. She does seem to be impatient with other kids who don't understand math. (*sigh)
- Social Studies table...I really enjoy having her in my class. She does good work and participates well. She has a 95.1. I'm really enjoying her.
- Advanced English table...She's doing really well. What a great kid! We're not having any trouble at all. She's got a 93.2. How is Eldest? (This teacher had great trouble with Eldest but also still really likes Eldest.)
- Gym table...yeah, I skipped this table. Younger is a jock and rule follower. She's always got a high-A in gym.
- Advanced Science table...She's doing well. She seemed a little confused by the scientific method unit (80.5 on the test) but we'll get there. She's got a 90.1.
- Communications table...Hmmm. I always get Younger and Kattherine and Rachel confused. But this page says Younger has an 89.9, so she's doing well. We're going to start reading Poe next week. Me: Oh? I'll have her re-read our Poe for kids book. Teacher: Yeah. Good luck with that. (Um. Nice that you aren't sure which one is my kid. But she is pretty-much joined at the hip with Rachel, so I guess that's excusable. And, um, continuing my belief that the communications class is a complete waste of time for kids in Advanced English, this particular kid has been read appropriate poetry by Poe since she a kindergartner. So why would I not have luck getting her to review it now? Way to set expectations for my kid, lady. And I'll be talking to Younger about that 89.9, because this is the easiest core class she's got. Why the B here? )
- Performance II table. Younger is a born performer! She's great. She did forget to do her on-line clowning quiz. But if she writes me an e-mail telling me I'm wonderful and she'll never do it again, I'll let her make it up. Oh. And is she going to try out for the musical this year? I REALLY want her in the show. She's got an 87.8, but if she makes up the quiz, it'll be an A.
- Orchestra table. She's got a 93. But we're having some trouble. She's giving me some attitude......SCREEECH. (That's the sound of my brain coming to an immediate stop on the gym floor.) One day, I asked her if she talked to her mother like that and she said, "Yes." THUD. (That's the sound of my chin hitting the floor.) I assured the teacher that Miss Younger and I would be having a serious conversation about the situation.
Yup. No kid is perfect. No teacher is perfect. But crap...she's giving in-class attitude? From this kid? Ugh.
We had our talk. Younger cried...not because I yelled...but because she hates being less than good at anything. She's struggling with learning to show respect to adults that she doesn't respect. It is hard. I do understand why she doesn't respect the skills of this particular teacher...but I made it very clear that disrespect to a teacher would not be tolerated. I don't care if she doesn't like the teacher. I explained that she needed to figure out how to get along to go along in that classroom. In life you just have to deal with
people that suck. They are everywhere.
Ah. What fun.
It's the school house.
8 comments:
Heavy lesson for the Younger. Suck Asses are, indeed, everywhere. And sometimes,you're gonna feel like you were born without enough Middle Fingers.
Yeah, ciii, and it sucks to take the side of the Suck Ass, but we've got to be all parental and shit. I'm glad her orchestra teacher next year is really good, or I think she'd quit.
Nice job. It's so great to read about someone with older kids and how they handle things. Hopefully I will remember all of this ten years from now!!
can I just say: i am jealous cause that kid is wikkid smaht. and while sassing at school is a no no, it will help later in life.
Ummm...
That system of the gym and nosy parents not being separated with a large door? It bites. But... your daughter seems great. Secretly, don't you kind of think everyone should have a little bit of an edge? Just a little sass for a rainy day is all. Don't sweat it until you hear it from more than one teacher.
Yes, I secretly love their edge and attitude...but I have the teacher's back...even when they are a bit lame.
You're lucky, but you have your own set of challenges with kids who do well in school.
I think you are going at this parenting thing totally right, from what I can tell, and better yet, you read them Poe. Poe! Sigh. Makes me want to go grab my anthology and revisit this old friend and his Bells bells bells.
Wait, that sounds weird...
Figured you wouldn't see my response to your response at my blog, so I'm pasting it in here for you:
I absolutely love Annabelle Lee, about as much as The Raven, as cliche as it is. It's one of those things everyone loves for good reason, so there should be no guilt in being one of a large crowd.
So why do I feel that little twinge of guilt/pathetic-ness?
Post a Comment