I've reread this post and I need to apologize...I didn't mean to sound all braggy about Younger. See...this good grades stuff is new to me. I'm not used to it. And when you surprise Laggin, she gets all stupid and not very thoughtful and stuff.
Let me explain. Eldest's academic record is kinda like Donald Trump's hair--it's not very pretty. And also, it's a sort-of-trademark. The way I figure it, Donald must like having bad hair. Because he could afford a decent barber...just sayin'. So he chooses to look that way...it's his thing.
And Eldest? She could totally afford to do better in school...because she's got the brains. And she, too, chooses not to succeed. Sort of.
I figure the reason God gave me an easy kid like Younger, is because he screwed me the first time around. About the time we got pregnant the second time (while completely NOT trying cuz who wants #2 when #1 is devil spawn?), God was watching us and said, "Wow. I whammied them. Let's go easy on 'em with the second one. Because if I don't? That lady is going to lose her gourd."
I say that Eldest "sort of" chooses not to succeed because I never can tell what's a matter of "I can'ts" and "I won'ts". This kid? She's got 'tude instead of blood flowing through her veins. But she also has three diagnosed learning disabilities: ADHD, dysgraphia and a non-verbal learning disorder/borderline high-functioning Asperger's (depends on who you talk to). And she's got debilitating migraines (in one quarter of 8th grade she spent 63 hours in the nurses office--that doesn't count when I picked her up or when she didn't go to school at all). So life's a bit tough for her. But also? Genius. Not kidding. Portions of her IQ are stratospheric. Way higher than Younger. Go figure, right? I mean Eldest scored in the top 3% of 6th graders in the nation on the Iowa Basics. She took the ACT in 7th grade and could have gotten into "some" colleges then (the not so good kind). She was in the 58% of high school seniors--at 12. But she flirts with failing, loses sports eligibility and is completely unenthused by the concept of success. Whatever.
She's got the raw stuff. She'll figure it out someday.
I hope.
But, you see, I've been through the wringer with Eldest, so I do bask a bit in the Younger sunshine. So, sorry...didn't mean to be all irritating-mom braggy on you.
It's a failed house.
10 comments:
Pssst... You are an awesome mommy. You are supposed to brag about your kids. If it annoys anyone, well that is part of the game too. I will happily sit through your home movies anytime.
With all the curves balls life and nature have thrown eldest, she is an amazing kid and extremely well adjusted. A lot of that is you! (Okay, carman too, but it wouldn't have worked so well without you.) Nuture shapes us just as much as nature.
((dysgraphia? seriously?? with her literary abilities? a truly amazing kid.))
that is what I get for not proofing before I hit publish...the word should have been:
Nurture, not nuture. (I am sure that is all together something different.)
Dysgraphia is a disability only in the formation of letters and the physical process of writing. As long as she types, the disability isn't there. Thus...our choice of a technology high school. It has made a huge difference for her.
and also: never apologize or feel badly about highlighting the successes of your kids. ever once in a while, it's gotta be done. helps to make the other crap seem more manageable.
Never for one second took that post as braggy! Took it as a great account of what you are going through with your child.
Damn, Elder does have a lot to deal with - from all accounts she is doing well though. As you said, she will figure it out.
You are hardly a failed house! Not even close. (And remember, those of us not interested in the "Mommy Wars" always want to hear good things about other peoples' kids!)
listen honey, if YOU don't brag about her- no one will. Be proud, be happy, and be YOU. no apologies needed!!!
now go have a drink...
Howdy there, just fell across your blog and POW you seem to be going through the same thing I am. My son (middle child, only boy) has been diagnosed with ADHA and OCD. God knows I cannot remember all the other possibles the Doc said.
He too is catagorized as gifted by the IQ test they have given him. But I will be &)#%^*$ if he could pass a class.
So yougo right ahead and brag...you and she deserves any and all bragging rights. I know I would if my son would even pass with a C.
I was a lot like your elder... Tested off the charts when they were trying to figure out why I wasn't passing my classes... I think for kids like that, school can be incredibly frustrating and challenging. Your right, she will find her way when it's her choice, though it may not ever be academically.
I have no idea why you would apologize for bragging. Please brag. Bragging is just unbridled joy. Have at it.
Dude what's wrong with bragging now and again? Maybe I'll go brag about my youngest. Who's in the Gifted Program. Even though Youngest is not as smart as Eldest. But Eldest? Yeah, she's a square peg and the afore mentioned "issues"... we have those too.
Post a Comment