And I thought...really? We've got to do that bit, eh?
The Mommy Wars are real...if you pay attention to them.
I've gotten over this war.
It will wear you down to a little stub-0f-a-mommy if you care too much about this particular war. It's a war that I am particularly and proudly apathetic regarding. But I guess I must rise from apathy and write about this issue.
Sure, I had some stay-at-homes do the bitchy thing at me when the girls were in grade school. I had some people ask how I could put my kids in day care. And I've seen don't-stay-at-homes be very snobby to people who make the choice to be with their kids. I've seen the don't-stay-at-homes obnoxiously express that the stay-at-homes had the responsibility to lead all the Girl Scout events because Mrs. Important had a job. Ugh.
Every single one of these things would make me crazy if I spent too much time thinking about it. And the employers who wonder whether they should hire and promote women because they're just going to chose to stay home with their kids eventually? Well, they REALLY make me crazy. (Yeah. It still happens. All. the. time. If I had a dollar for every time I heard, I recruiting and trained her and then she went and had a baby.)
But I don't happen to believe that one position is better than the other. I believe we all make choices for ourselves and our families. We are the best at deciding what is right for our family's life.
I respect the decision of women to be at home with their kids. I also understand the decision and sometimes the need to work outside the house. But does this election really have to be about that issue? I'm thinking that national security, the economy and energy--just to name a few--are the primary issues we need to address.
So while I'm usually apathetic on this issue, all this talk about Palin and whether she can do the job because of her family, is pissing me off.
First, let me get one thing straight. I disagree with Palin's politics. Completely. I would NEVER vote for her. But I respect what she's done in her life. I respect her ability to succeed in the way she sees best for her and in light with her own beliefs. She does live her beliefs. I can respect that, even if I don't agree with her particular brand of fabric softener.
Now that I've gotten that out there, I have to add that I laughed hysterically when she was selected. I laughed bitchily at her kids' names until I read up on them and then I kinda like them (except Track; Track is just weird). And I laughed quietly when I heard about her pregnant daughter. I laughed on this third occasion because it seemed that the Republicans had been caught with their pants down again. (And, yes, yes, I know I can't claim pantsdownedness actually has any political affiliation with it. Dems do it too.) But then I realized what I was laughing at and I promptly slapped myself upside the head. HARD. Because that poor girl is caught in a glare that is not of her own making. Sure she went and got herself knocked up. But she gets to live the life of "Juno" in front of the nation, instead of quietly in her small Alaskan town.
And how ironic is it that both Bristol and Juno are places in Alaska? To quote the brilliance of Juno, Bristol gets to be the national "cautionary whale".
It is her mother--her mommy--that put her there. I don't understand that at all.
But I also do not understand asking whether Palin can do the job because she has this family. She has five kids (one of who is out on his own), including a special needs baby. Does that mean she cannot do an important job and be a mother? No. It does not. It would be tough. It would be a juggling act. But if she gets the job (God forbid...I'm knocking on wood), I hope she handles it well. I hope she can do the juggle with the family. I will also hope that she fails spectacularly in her politics. But I, for one, will not wish that she does anything to further ignite the Mommy Wars. Because that war just need to be over.
We need a Mommy Truce. I wave the Mommy White Flag.
Today is a political house. (I took the pic in D.C. on the 4th, last summer.) Now I've got to go watch her speech and see what there is to learn about her particular brand of fabric softener.
8 comments:
I have lots of thoughts and feelings on the subject, but I can say one thing that springs to mind is that I greatly disapprove of her decision to accept the opportunity at this time in her life, with all the responsibilities (new baby with Down Syndrome, pregnant teenager, governorship she just sought), totally apart from working/staying at home.
I felt the same way about John Edwards staying in the presidential race after his wife had a cancer relapse. (I don't care if she told him to stay in there.)
It just says you value power, fame, and political success over your family and your own well-being.
I'm waving the flag too! And also wrote about this same subject tonight.
Laggin, I have new found respect for you. Not that I didn't before, but it is really nice to hear someone from the other side of the aisle take her side, not politically, but from a work life aspect. (how's that for a run on sentence?)
I don't agree with all of her politics, but I think she has some good ideas and when she cleaned house of crooks in her own party, that carries some weight.
I will be voting for her (well McCain actually, but I will be holding my nose as I do it) because Obama scares the living daylights out of me.
the banter about can she do the job because she has kids IS sexist. calling her political beliefs irresponsible IS NOT sexist.
the flag should be waved. it's sad that we still have to even roll out the flag and it's ironic that it's the republicans who look "progressive" on the issue.
I heard one man say, "Who's gonna raise those kids?" and I went off my rails. YOU WOULDN'T ASK THAT QUESTION IF IT WERE A MAN!
And the Mommy Wars? Those are for people who have too much time on their hands.
First - we know I am apathetic on the politics, but even the question of can she do the job because of her mommy status pissed me off. No, they do not ask if a man can do the job because of his daddy status. Does that make me want to vote that side? No, but the attitude ticks me off.
Second - the Mommy wars? I wish I had the luxury of being able to make that decision. Mayhaps I should have forgone the procreation route, since I couldn't afford to stay home with them every minute of every day.
I really think the key to "solving"
the mommy wars is for people to admit and be ok with the fact that no one ever has it all. Not mommies. Not daddies. MAYBE the kids if they're lucky. Someone is always giving something up...and everyone should be ok with that. Make your choice...enjoy your life. Change your mind...enjoy your life some more. Heck...change it again. Get rid of the guilt and the jealousy and the bitchiness...
You cannot deter a woman from running for office simply based on the facts of her family dynamics. So what if she has five kids, if she can handle it, she can do it. That is politics aside of course. A woman's worklife or not-work life is up to each woman to decide based on her financial needs and personal aspirations. (Same for men I might say.) Now putting her children in the spotlight was her choice. I don't necessarily agree with the good governor's choice to expose Bristol to the unwanted media attention. But having done so, both sides have been respectful I think. At the same time, if Obama had a grown daughter who was pregnant, do you think we'd be hearing about the liberal promiscuity factor?
(PS Look restraint, Rowan. I didn't pull out the soap box. Well maybe a bar.)
Post a Comment