Thursday, September 25, 2008

teen update

This showed up on one of Eldest's best-friend's Facebook page. It's really wonderfully written. It's basically Eldest's relationship with the Ex. Interesting stuff.

Charming Charades
Warning her wasn't enough.
Trying to explain the horrible feeling of heartbreak.
Wishing her to stay away from him.
She just laughed
and said
"he'd never do that"
but now
she's singing another song.
The first time,
I saw them holding hands,
My stomach lurched.
And I thought for sure.
I was going to be sick.
Then when I saw them kissing,
I was sick.
That poor girl,
Just couldn't see.
She was blinded by his charm,
And didn't see the charades.
People warning
Sighing
Hoping,
She'd see it before it was too late.
She didn't slow at the yellow light,
Or even yield at the stop sign.
She went past the speed limit on green,
And barely avoided the crashes.
Just little dents here and there.
She came out of the car,
Hair all messed up:
"Oh, we were just talking."
He came out of the car,
Telling a different story.
She just blushed,
And took his hand again.
But now
I see her tearing the letters,
Burning the pictures.
And mascara in an ugly clump
Under her eye.
Hair tangled at the bottom.
In her old sweats
And ratted t-shirt.
Oh how beautiful....
And she turns to me.
Accuses me of not caring,
Not helping,
Not making her aware.
I slam the door.
To hell with that.
She just didn't want to see.
She took the trust she had in her friends,
And gave it all to him.
But what did that accomplish?
He took her trust,
And shredded it.
So now:
She's hopeless
Trustless
Loveless.
And he's fine.
It doesn't seem to add up.
No matter how many times I calculate it.
Some things
Just are.
But she,
She isn't.

And the author of this poem? She's not only one of Eldest's best friends (they are over the problems mentioned in here), but Ex also counts the author among his best friends. Or used to. I doubt he mature enough to forgive this.

10 comments:

DKC said...

Wow. That is some powerful writing.

I'm glad to hear Eldest and the author are over the problems mentioned. Smart girls like that need to stick together.

Seriously said...

She keeps good company.

cIII said...

I'm not sure how I'm going to React when the Goat and Tater start dating.
I'll 'probly set the Foundation of any relationship with "If you make her Cry...I'll make You cry."
They're gonna Hate me.

Fortunatly, the Goat thinks boy DO have Cooties (which we do) and the Tater has a mad Monkey Crush on Curious George.
And I'm ready for that little Simian bastatd.

Leslie said...

Well, at least Tater doesn't love a fat-ass purple dinosaur. Barney was Eldest's first love. (Man. She's always had bad taste.)

Seriously said...

my youngest still has a crush on your youngest. my oldest has a crush on everyone. I think she is going to be the heartbreaker.

Carolyn...Online said...

That was beautiful and lovely and all but...can I just say that if ANY of the crap I wrote/thought/did when I was a teenage had been on the internet and therefore saved for my future self I would have to die right this very minute.

Leslie said...

I agree Carolyn. I wouldn't have posted this except the author already did! And I only post it to praise it. Now there is some stuff on those teens pages I see that I could totally mock...but that wouldn't be very nice of me, would it? (But, trust me, you'd all be VERY entertained.)

MsPicketToYou said...

i edited the newspaper and the literary magazine (i know, whatever, leave me alone) and um, yeah, never ever had anything that good.

PS: did i ever tell you about that night i spent playing quarters with Bono?

Vodka Mom said...

wow. That was some heavy stuff. very good.

Zip n Tizzy said...

It's hard to learn the hard way, but at least her friends have her back... Now, as long as she doesn't keep dating guys like this, she'll be in good shape.