Wednesday, October 29, 2008

middle school kid...defined

For some unknown reason, Younger was actually ready for school a whole hour early this morning. Weird.

So, at 7:30, as I came through the kitchen ready to rush out the door for work, she said, "Mommy, feed me." Because:
  1. I don't actually having anything on my calendar until a department meeting at noon . . .
  2. I try to be spontaneous with them . . .
  3. It's rare that I get to just be with one girl and bond . . .
  4. And let's face it, avoiding work is good!

I offered to take her out for breakfast before school.

She was thrilled.

We headed off to the breakfast place conveniently located between our home and her school. When we arrive, I order coffee. She asks if she can have coffee too. (Mind you, not some latte, chocolate, fluffle-drink, but real, drip coffee.) I say...uh...sure?

The the waitress comes to get our order. Veggie omelet for me. Younger orders...the Funny Face Pancake.

Yup. Coffee and a Funny Face Pancake. Half grown-up, half kid.

That's middle school for you.

Yeah, it's Goofy's house.

16 comments:

Bijoux said...

Sounds just like my middle schooler, who loves to go out for breakfast too.

Russ said...

Mr. B loves coffee too. I have caught him sampling from my mug on more than one occasion.

Seriously said...

That sounds perfect!

BTW - Did she like HSM III?

Carolyn...Online said...

I've told my girls that coffee is the devil and they can't have it. I don't even know why... What did my parents tell me in my childhood that makes me think they can't ever have coffee?

for a different kind of girl said...

Sounds like part of a well balanced breakfast to me!

What a nice start to the day!

cIII said...

That's exactly what I had for Breakfast.

'Cept my Pancakes had Frowny Faces.

And, Cigarettes.

miko564 said...

Recently, I was on business nearby where the fam was visiting friends. I picked the Monkey up, and she stayed with me at the hotel.
There is something about having them all to yourself, in the real world. There is some special magic there.

You sound like a great Mom, the spontaneous thing alone is something they will remember forever.

LiteralDan said...

Mmmm... veggie omelet and Mickey Mouse pancakes. I am still pushed and pulled by these two every time I order breakfast, and I'm pretty sure I always will be.

The best part about having kids (with tiny stomachs) is that I can have both without looking pathetic.

Leslie said...

Cocette...they just love to EAT!

Russ...can you blame him? I went to my Dad's office to make sugar and coffee--in that order.

Rowan...she DID! Lurved it.

Carolyn...I didn't really let them have it until they were in middle school. Why? Idk.

FADKOG...it was!

CIII...I think the ciggies would be bad for Younger, with her asthma and all.

Miko...true. And one of the great things about them getting older is that they are usually well behaved publicly. :)

MsPicketToYou said...

(ciii just made me laugh.)

the gfyo loves coffee (no sugar, please) but hates the mickey mouse pancake. go figure.

mostly, i love diner food with one (or even two) of my kids. all three and i am pushed over the edge.

DKC said...

Breakfast out is a family fave. I am often torn between the eggs and the sweet stuff myself.

With the Punk Ass in Kindergarten it has been really great having one-on-one time w/Maggie. She and I have been enjoying it to the fullest!

Monica said...

Love those little stlen moments, miss them too. Great story, and love the pictue of the house.

Today is a good day.

Vodka Mom said...

i love that story. sigh.

mathgeek said...

Excellent definition. And one alone at breakfast is sweet, but hundreds at a time, all day long? How do middle school teachers do it? I tried it for two years and couldn't take it!

Anonymous said...

my five year old just asked for a cell phone. Oh Lord

Seriously said...

Mathgeek - I hid in my classroom during lunch with the door locked. You could pay me to be anywhere near them in their free time.