Tuesday, November 18, 2008

shrugging

Does the news these days feel "Who is John Galt?" to anyone but me?

16 comments:

Seriously said...

ummm... Who is John Galt?

Bijoux said...

I really need to start reading the real news more often.....I have no idea who John Galt is either.

Seriously said...

It was killing me. I had to look it up -

"John Galt is the heroic main character in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged. Although he is absent from much of the text, he is the subject of the novel's oft repeated question, "Who is John Galt?", and the quest to discover the answer."

Obviously, a book that needs to go into my "To Be Read" pile. I am terrible at the classics.

Bijoux said...

Thanks Rowan; I was too lazy to look it up.

Russ said...

Excellent book! A tough read, granted. Very formative of my political beliefs.

To expand on rowan, John Galt created a society in which brains and hard work were prized assets and those with those attributes should be compensated for it. He viewed big government and those who benefited from it were "parasites" on society.

The references you are seeing are because of a, real or perceived, believed future action(s) by the Obama administration. Specifically in the area of growing government and taxation of businesses and individuals. These are the very people, according to Ayn Rand, who make the world go around, the veritable Atlas.

It is worth picking up the book in the library and reading Galt's monologue at the end. That way you are not getting it through my, or anyone else's, filter.

Leslie said...

Now I must jump in.

No, Russ, this is not because of what I perceive the Obama administration will do. It is because big business all has it's hand out and is saying, "It's not fair. We, too, deserve a hand-out. Come save us because we can't save ourselves."

John Galt would tell business to survive on its own. It either has the ability and drive to do so, or it should fail and deserves to fail.

I'm not sure I agree with "Galt's" view, but I am irritated with all the whining and "us too'ing" that's going on. It seems that everyone it soo big to fail. And as I see it, the U.S. government cannot save the finances of the entire world and that is what it is being called upon to do.

Russ said...

I agree with you Laggin. The hand outs go totally against Ms. Rand's views. Mine, to a certain extent, as well.

I have not seen any Galt articles stating that, not because I haven't been looking or because they are not out there. The ones I have seen were in regard to the incoming administration. Out of curiousity where would I find them?

There was an interesting discussion on local radio about the industries that "too big to fail". Basically, it boiled down to, let them fail. The way they are structured (the auto industry primarily) is too inefficient and the streamlining that would occur by the Chap 11 reorganizing can do nothing but help, vs the good money after bad approach of throwing cash at the problem.

I seem to recall the average GM worker earning $70+/hr vs Toyota's $45/hr (abc news as I recall). Plus every car Chrysler sold LOST $415 on average (local radio, no citation). Tough to survive when you hamstring yourself like that.

Dibs said...

The Big 3 situation is a mess, there is no question. There is an entitlement mentality among the hourly workers that has blossomed over the years. Intellectually, yes, letting (at least) GM fall may help.

And then... living in Michigan, our lives are absolutely intertwined with the auto industry. A failure of any of the Big 3 would hurt people I love. It, also, would only hurt the real estate market in the state, which directly hurts my family.

So, yes, intellectually, I don't think the auto industry deserves a bailout. And today I've watched as much news as I can because I am praying that one will come through.

MsPicketToYou said...

you people are wikkid smaht.

Seriously said...

Thank you. Subtlety and/or cleverness tend to go over my head.

I got the gist of the post, just not the reference. Got it now :D

Leslie said...

But Rowan, your initial question, "Who is John Galt?" IS the quesiton of the book. So I had no idea whether you were joining in my point or if you didn't know.

Vodka Mom said...

OMG I LOVED Atlas Shrugged. Does that make me old and all that?

Oh well. so be it.

Carolyn...Online said...

Laggin - Stay up all night reading briefs and get super tired already so you can dumb down with the rest of us.

DKC said...

I just hate not to comment, but having not read Atlas Shrugged I don't feel that I can knowingly comment.

Holla!

Seriously said...

I think I was seeking clarification with the first one. Then thought I should know the answer and tried to cover my tracks with the second, then recover with the third.

I am going with I should quit trying to be funny, and just shut the hell up.

Susan said...

It's funny you should say that. I've been waiting for "Who is John Galt" bumper stickers to start showing up.