Can I just tell you that I miss princess and puppy costumes and sweet little kids trick-or-treating? I do not like teen Halloween.
Boo.
The day started to go downhill when Younger called me after school and said, all attitude like, "Are you picking us up?" Wha? Why would I do that, you ride a bus, remember?
Due to a little miscommunication, I ended up with three middle school girls at our house. Fine. Warning would have been nice...so I wasn't in my pajamas when I was supposed to be picking them up from school...but, still, I like it when they want to hang out here.
Except these three couldn't decide what they wanted to do (crash a party, trick-or-treat, go to the football game) or what costumes they wanted to wear or what they wanted for dinner. They couldn't make a decision...to save their lives. They made me need a drink...but I had to DRIVE them places. Damn that problem with drinking and driving. I need to find a way around that law that does not put people's lives at risk. Seriously.
Eldest didn't have school yesterday. So at least she had figured out her costume earlier in the day. She was going to be Annabelle Lee. Then she decided it was too geeky to do something out of a poem and so decided to just call herself an undead bride. (Why is it sin to be smart?)Of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride,
In the sepulcher there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.
Anyhow. She looked pretty cool. (That's my mother's confirmation dress and veil, circa 1952. Sometimes it's cool to be a pack rat.)
But Younger. Ugh. Younger came down the stairs in a friend's Little Miss Muffet costume. Like SEXY Little Miss Muffet. Ugh. Neither Car-man nor I were thrilled. She could tell, so pulled me aside and asked if the costume was ok. My response--"You look like a tart and I don't love that."--might have been a bit too much. She went into a bit of a tailspin...being Younger... she doesn't like it if we disapprove of anything. Anyhow, we compromised and she got rid of the leg warmers and put on shorts, improving it slightly. It was still a bit "mini," and showed that she's....er...a bit chesty. Ugh. But it wasn't that bad, we just would have been happier with a huge, baggy ugly witch costume, ya know? She didn't have to look that cute, did she?
At 10:30, I went to pick up Eldest from the party at her BFF's house. When I dropped her off there at 5:30 she had told me that her BFF was going to dress as a gerbil. (Huh?) But when I picked her up, she said, BFF liked her undead bride costume so well, that BFF put on her mother's wedding dress and they went as lesbian undead brides.
Hey, y'all should keep that costume in mind for the little ones next year... undead lesbian brides. Ugh.
Just ugh.

18 comments:
I'm kind of glad that, so far, I'm still busting out ninja and Army man costumes!
I wish I went as a dead lesbian bride! I love that costume.
Okay, maybe not for Eldest, but at least it shows an open mind!
I fear the girls' costumes. My niece, who is 10, went as a black cat. You can bet my sister was in on making it the non-sluttiest cat in history!
Honestly, my kids would never dream up any of that. They are nerds and surprisingly more innocent than husband and I ever were at that age.
And I too hate it when I have to drive kids places when all I want is a couple of glasses of vino.
Laggin, you have, yet again, made me fear something in my future that had never occurred to me. I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight.
get to the liquor store- that's where ALL mom's of teen girls hang out.
miko, I'm right there with you.
Undead Lesbian Brides, pretty funny though.
But the real question is... Was Miko more upset by the idea of the Monkey dressing as a undead lesbian bride or a tart? Because really? The slutty one bothered me WAY more.
My first thought was of your mom's reaction to the wearing of her first communion outfit by the undead lesbian bride (IF she knew).
Oy!
It was Mom's confirmation outfit...Eldest is little, but not little enough to fit in something a second grader would wear!
And I did tell mom. Mostly out of some strange goal to shock her. :/
Laggin, the slutty one for sure!
Are you kidding? I have a friend who had a daughter, and he had the best idea ever. He says a Novena twice a year that she becomes a lesbian, so he never has to deal with teenage boys. I keep telling him I'm not sure the Catholic God is going to turn his daughter into a lesbian for him, but who knows?
I kinda figured that, Miko. But Russ was freaked by the lesbians! Hey, these two girls are even "married" on Facebook. That's all the rage amongst the girls...marry one of your friends so your status isn't set to indicate the apparently pathetic status of "single."
OK, your mom is WAAAY harder to shock than mine is. It is, however, always good to try.
I'm with FADKOG... my little off duty firemen are so much easier to handle than teen ms. muffits! (At least she cares what you think right?)
I do NOT want to trade. I'm quite sure that I'll have my own lesbian undead bride/tart moments in the future. Let me enjoy my angel and devil for this brief innocent little time!
I don't know if I could have actually said the word "lesbian" to my mother when I was in high school. I don't even want to know what will be in style in 10 years, when I have to worry about it. I am crossing my fingers for the return of the "Prairie" look.
I left you an award on my blog last night!
Undead lesbian brides is the best couples costume ever.
I love undead lesbian brides. I love them so very much.
Post a Comment