I spent the first 22 years of my life on this earth in Nebraska--the east end of it, to be specific. But we regularly drove the whole length of the state, along I-80. First, the trips were to the farm where my father grew up; later, it was a passage to Colorado to ski; and, at the very end of my permanent residency, to meet the family of a man I fell in love with and eventually married.
The drive follows the Oregon trail. We used to hunt for wagon wheel ruts when I was a kid. My dad would see them but they were beyond my vision. Today, I can see the trail--or at least understand why you would travel this path--if travel was your soul.
All these years later, twenty plus years after I left the state, this drive across I-80 feels like home.
There is something about how the flat, barren prairie stretches to the trees ringing the edge of the Platte River...about the blue of this sky...about how this sky domes wider than anywhere else...about the wispy clouds...about how I know these particular clouds. These empty trees--gnarled, old river trees--are familiar to me. They are different than elsewhere. They are mine.
The skeletal husks of corm in the fields still run alongside the car greeting me. They are like an old cattle dog running alongside the grain truck, herding its wheels.
Even the brown...the particular shade of winter deadened
grass, a shade that matches the dirt roads exactly...a shade just a hue darker than the highway itself...is familiar. (Yes, Willa Cather, the grass does have a touch of red.)
grass, a shade that matches the dirt roads exactly...a shade just a hue darker than the highway itself...is familiar. (Yes, Willa Cather, the grass does have a touch of red.)This state may be dead last in tourism but somehow it is ingrained in me. There is, after all, a touch of pioneer somewhere within.
This is Nebraska's house.
Happy new year, all.
7 comments:
I love those familiar place feelings. Since I now live two towns away from where I grew up they have become rather mundane for me.
I need to do some traveling to the places of my youth - the towns where my grandparents lived in particular. There are two spots that I really want to take my kids to that have such fond memories for me.
Nice reflection!
This is along the lines of how I felt this summer when I was driving around the town I live in - which is the same town I grew up in. There's a four-block radius here where I feel like I can "feel" and "see" what I did there while growing up, and it's comfortable.
Happy new year to you and your family!
Happy New Year Laggin! We're creating those memories here. Something about sitting on I-80 (in NJ) just not that memorable.
No matter where I am... Nebraska is home.
and a very, very happy new year to YOU.
We fell in love with Nebraska while traveling the I-80 from NY to CA. The history of pioneer's making their way west was so tangible. We spent the afternoon at the impressive Pioneer Village and have never forgotten it. Everytime we read about tornados passing through we cross our fingers that they skip over that historical spot. We look forward to taking the boys back when they are older.
Beautiful post. Happy New Year!
Don't know how I missed this post, but I'm glad I found it!
You describe the countryside that has been etched in your soul so beautifully. Those wild places we can see with our eyes closed are, in many ways, the essence of who we are. Loved it.
Post a Comment