Saturday, March 7, 2009

conundrum and hope

It's a quandary. A quagmire. A conundrum.

I do not know this Eldest person I gave birth to. I do not understand her. I do not understand how to help. I cannot conceive of why this kid has to be one huge heartbreak for me. The questions shouldn't be about me and my feelings; but they are. Sometimes.

Mostly it's just Why? Why must everything be done the hardest possible way?

Truthfully, I kind of think I know the path for me. I think I know (and by choice of this language, which is poor, but which I will not change because it shows my doubt) I have to take the path of tough love. I just don't understand why she's making me do this.

She's failing again. Her geometry grade is something like a 47%. Why? Oh, not because she doesn't understand the math. I could understand if it was that simple. It is because she hadn't turned in assignments, the teacher got tired of waiting and finally entered zeros in the grade book. So once again, she has no social life. She's sat at home in her pajamas all weekend. Doing nothing but very little homework, napping and talking on the computer to people.
That's a sinking house.
I have remained calm. I am not yelling (which is how I would have reacted a year ago). When we talked, I just simply reminded her that if at the end of the school year she failed anything, she would be leaving Pricey Academy. I told her we would simply have to try something else because this small school isn't working. I also used the phrase, "You can fail for free in the public school."

She said she hadn't made up HER MIND about where she wanted to go next year (oh, the gall of her!) I explained that I understood she didn't know what SHE wanted, but that if she didn't pass, the choice wouldn't be hers. She would be back in public school and we'd try and see what they could do there.

I am really, really afraid that the public school will be a total failure. That I will lose her altogether. That this will push her into the place where bad kids go. Her friends in the public school are good kids. They are better people than her Catholic school friends by a mile. But I'm not sure she can academically succeed there.

I've talked about it a little bit here but not much. Eldest has some fairly significant learning disabilities. She's super bright; certifiably, tested smart. But...
  • She's got ADHD.
  • The experts call it different things but she's either got a pretty severe nonverbal learning disorder or she's high-functioning Asperger's. That's one step away from Autism, folks. One. step. away. This means she has some pretty big social issues (that's another post). But it also means that there are some things that her brain just doesn't do like everyone else's. Her problems are mostly in spacial and temporal processes. She doesn't get how space works. Example? She could not draw a map of the house she has lived in for the last 13 years of her life. She also doesn't get time. Example? At sixteen, she still doesn't get that an hour is divided into fourths. She doesn't understand what I mean when I say "At quarter-after we'll go...." She'll say, "Mom! Minutes please." Also, she can't create a timeline. I've watched her try. I've tried to help. Her brain doesn't get it. She can sort-of do it in A.D. time. But give her a B.C. timeline, where time goes backwards? Forget it. And I'm not coddling or exaggerating on this one. This stuff just isn't there. At least it's stuff you can live without.
  • She's also dysgraphic. Dysgraphia is a cognitive impairment in writing (like dyslexia is a cognitive impairment in reading). Her handwriting looks like a second graders. Again, I'm not exaggerating. I can't read it. Teachers can't read it. But worst of all, SHE can't read it. Think about trying to succeed at school if you can't read your own writing. What's your homework? What is that algebra equation you're suppose to memorize?
So unless she does everything on a computer, school is a special-kind-of-hell. She can't read what her homework is. She can't take readable notes. She just Can't.

Now of course, with a list of challenges like she has, the law provides all kinds of protections for Eldest. She could carry a computer from class-to-class. She could have an aide to help with notes and tracking homework, etc. But will Eldest take any of that help? Not on her life. She has honed chasing off educational aides to a fine art. She can make them hate her and leave her alone in the first week of school. Easy peasy. Carry a computer to class? Nope. She's not going to be DIFFERENT. God forbid. God happened to make her different. But God didn't make her willing to accept that difference. She is going to be like everyone else in that school. And, even if that causes her to fail, that's okie dokie by her. (Of course, failing will make her different too. But this difference is one she's willing to accept.)

So in public school, the problems we have in the private school will be compounded by the lack of a computer. The computer--and its small size--was really why we picked Pricey Academy. It provided the perfect work-around for difference without making her different.

So here I sit, convincing myself and probably you, that I should cave to my fear that she'll fail in the public school. Her therapist--who has now become MINE because Eldest refuses to see him anymore (he's just another adult who tells her she's making bad choices)--has recommended the public school option. He thinks that Pricey Academy is coddling Eldest. Basically, she's getting away with murder.

And, she is. On a recent parent meeting there they asked me if we wanted them to focus on her education or her emotional well-being. I sat there in shock, thinking, "What the hell, people? You are the SCHOOL. That's about edu-fucking-cation. We've just been talking about how she's playing teachers and parents against each other, about how she's completely USED the I'm-so-sick-thing, and you're asking this question?" Literally, I could not speak. (And that is VERY odd for me. I can ALWAYS speak.) Eldest's head-of-house looked at me and said, "Because if you think the school-work is too hard for her, we can back-off." And again, I was speechless. She's got a 136 IQ. She's not even in honors courses. Too hard? She read Shakespeare, voluntarily, in the 5th grade. Too hard? Oh. My. Hell. (Yes, Geometry may be too hard. It doesn't work inside her particular brain. I'd accept failure there if it was too hard. But she's failing for not doing the work. She's failing because she's not doing the work.)

So I guess I'm going to do the hard thing . . . I guess I'll pull her out of Pricey Academy if she fails. I guess we'll give the other a try. And that other is a really, really good school. Truly, it's probably a better school than Pricey Academy. I just wonder if it's the right place for her.

Yesterday this silly Frito ad reduced me to tears. Tears. http://www.madeforeachother.com/love_and_sockets/ I was a gushing ball of goo. Because it seemed to personify Eldest. Not in the can't find a "partner" way, but in the can't-fit-in-kind-of-way. Because she can't seem to get comfortable inside that different skin in which she was created. Because she is drifting and seems so lost. Or maybe she's just lost to me right now . . . maybe she'll come back in a few years. I hope.

14 comments:

Dibs said...

Oh God, sweetie. Where to begin?

First a big hug.

While our situations are vastly different, the similarities are striking and I so understand what you are feeling. I know how heartbreaking, frustrating and infuriating it can be to watch someone you love (intentionally or unintentionally)implode.

To try talking, cajoling, yelling, ignoring, experts... and to get nothing back.

To understand intellectually that it is about them but to care so much that it cannot help but be about you as well.

Two close friends of mine have children with Asperger's. Through our decade of work together, my therapist has come to believe that Husband may be somewhere on that spectrum as well. It can be so hard to function with them, even though you know that it's the brain wiring acting and not the human being. And, you know that the person you love can't go around wearing a t-shirt that says, "It's my brain wiring that's doing this, not me..."

Posts like this scare me more than your "my daughter's boyfriend has too much hair" posts. Crazy Boy is moving into his special ed classroom and we have our first (and, certainly, not the last) giant IEP meeting with all the players planned. Like the Spanish Inquisition, these are the things you don't expect when you hold that baby in your arms.

So now that I've posted on your post, please know that your friends love and believe in your greatness as a parent. I know you'll make the right decisions (even if it sucks to do it).

As a college junior, I remember a mutual acquaintance of ours, let's call her Susan C., telling me of her amazement that her mother had become much smarter and less irritating than she used to be. It will get better.

DKC said...

This brought tears to my eyes. For you and what you are having to deal with, for Eldest and the not different/different fight she is trying to control.

I have no words of wisdom - but I second Dibs in that all you have shared with us shows what a great parent you are. Going through this really difficult time doesn't change that. Sending really big hugs to all.

Monica said...

OMG I feel you are my mirror! My middle is the same, though he has only been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. When in 2nd grade they tested his IQ at 132. HE is now in 9th grade and refuses to do homework. Stating he does not understand how to do what they want. Of course he will not sit with me or anyone else to work through it. He has brought his "I do not want to go to school" to an all new level. Due to out of school activities he has been suspended for 10 days upon which point the school board will decide if they will exdtend his suspension. I can see the schools point BUT they just gave him what he wants. Of course this is not punishment for middle, just me.

What is it with teens today? I do not remember it being this difficult when I was a teen. None of my friends had these types of problems either. Husband and I are seriously considering Military School for Middle as we can not control him in or out of school.

My prayers are with you, I had no idea that girls could be as hard as boys.

Andrea said...

Oh my. I'm in tears. I could have written those very words about 5 years ago. Although some of the issues were different for my daughter, the bottom line is was so difficult for her to get through school. We were at the end of our rope and eventually a decision was made that no one could believe. My heart goes out to you. You will do the right thing.

Tiny Dancer said...

Today after church a friend shared a similar story about a mom with a troubled daughter. That daughter was mentally ill and kept running away -- the mom was at her wit's end. My friend told her that the daughter was never out of Love's control and she didn't have to be afraid. Turns out this helped the mom, and the daughter, who pretty soon came home and got better. Perhaps this idea will help you too.

I have 2 kids, 2 nieces, and a nephew all in their 20's. My family has had to deal with some pretty scary things, so I know it isn't always easy. Keep doing what you're doing with love, it's the only thing that makes it possible to go on.

Hugs and lots of support.

MsPicketToYou said...

i am very at a loss with what to say. but i will say that this here? it proves to me the one thing i have known about you from the get go: you are a sincerely smart and devoted and honest mom. i have to believe that will count for something, even if it's just some gentle words from a far away friend that might help you get through one more day.

for a different kind of girl said...

I read this post earlier today and had to set it aside, because as I was reading it, I was having these flashes of what my home life may morph into, because we're entering this really challenging phase with my 11 year old son, who is so smart and so tender-hearted and so wanting to please, but who can't seem to get his thoughts to fire when he's in school. We had his conference last Monday night, and it felt like pieces of my heart were dropping off and being stomped on as I sat at tables in front of his teachers with him and listened to them tell me how hard he's struggling. Before, when we'd have conferences, they'd tell me how hard he was working, how "he's going to get it and really run with it one day." I'm scared to death those days are not coming because now he just doesn't seem to want to try that hard, especially if it's in a class he doesn't like.

The other aspect is he doesn't seem to "get" the idea of follow-through. If he doesn't get his work done in time, he may complete it later, but he seems to think that's all he need sto do. Just complete it but not turn it in. I was so frustrated with him last Monday night...I don't know....mabye not him, but just all the things we've been doing for the last three years to get him where he needs to be, and how it seems like the fight just gets harder and harder.

(You know what really set me off reading this? The part where you mention Eldest's dysgraphic issues. My first grader has better penmanship than my sixth grader, who, in turn, also can't read his own scrawls.)

I didn't mean to make this comment all about me. I just want to add my voice to those before me who have said you clearly (CLEARLY) are being a good mom, and I think you do have to stick to consequences you've mapped out, even as heartbreaking or difficult as they may be.

Monica said...

How long will you be here for? Should get together while you are here.

mathgeek said...

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs. I can't say any better than what others have already said here, so just know that you are loved.

miko564 said...

I can only say I'm thinking about you and Eldest, and that in some ways I WAS Eldest.
I tested off the charts on the IQ tests, and didn't find out I was ADD until I was 37. I didn't graduate HS with my class. I was offered an opportunity to go to a junior college to get the required credits...I went, tested into the honors program, made Dean's list, got my HS diploma, and left college.
I won't lie and say life wouldn't have been easier if I had buckled down and done what I should have...BUT...I have a wonderful family of my own now. I work for one of the 5 largest companies in the world, in a job where all my counterparts have Graduate degrees, and I have had an interesting life...
YOU can love her, YOU can guide her, YOU can make consequences for her actions, but only SHE can decide how she goes through life.

Bijoux said...

I truly don't believe she has Asperger's. My daughter is PDD/NOS. These kids have trouble communicating with peers and boyfriends would be out of the question, unless on a very basic level. That certainly doesn't sound like your Eldest.

Hope you find some answers.

Seriously said...

You know I identify with Eldest too much for comfort (don't worry she won't turn out like me...).

Lemme guess. She is afraid (certain) she will fail at ____. But damnit, she is going to do it on her own terms.

Her demons are on the inside, but it is so much easier on so many levels to convince herself that they are on the outside. And if they are on the outside, then she cannot control them.

Crap, I turned this around to me didn't I?

There is nothing to do, but continue to be the warm, loving, supportive, tough ninja mommy that you already are.

Have I told you lately that when I grow up, I want to be just like you? Only different.

Carolyn...Online said...

I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say when you (both of you) are going through such a hard time. I'm sorry.

MereCat said...

Oh bless you. This is so hard. Can you find any good recommendations for a tutor who specializes in special ed? It seems there are some pointed problems that are just hampering an otherwise stellar intellect. A tutor would be private, and would be a person who is not telling her she's making poor choices. It's just someone who can help her find a way out. Maybe she could learn to be "different" if she could be more stealthy about it.

I don't know. I just feel for you. Makes me want to try and help, but I can't. Just know that I'm sending you BIG BIG hugs. And you know what? You're going to figure out what's right for her, and it's going to be ok.