Tuesday, March 10, 2009

she's the volleyball queen

I've been meaning to put up some pictures of Younger playing volleyball. However, I keep forgetting to take the stupid camera. Details. They always kick my butt.

Anyhow, I had the handy-dandy cell phone, so I made do with what I had.

Here she is waiting for the serve (she's #14):
Here she is playing the back row and going for the dig:
Here she is on an approach to a hit--and it was a big hit--she stuffed it down the other team's throat (and, yes, that other team is wearing the same uniform...they are on the same club):
Saturday was an INCREDIBLY long day. Car-man started out taking Younger out to the tournament for the first game. She had to be there, 45 minutes from our house, at 7:25 a.m. The idea was that I'd come with lunch around 11:30, he'd leave after lunch and I'd bring her home at around 4:00. Good deal, right? Best laid plans almost always suck.

The good news was that Younger's team moved beyond pool-play into the semi-finals. In order to do that, they had one game in overtime (you have to win by 2 in volleyball) and then do a play-off game. This was against another team in her own club...a team above her team. And Younger's team won. They were very, very pleased with themselves. Then they were annihilated in the first-round of the semi's by a team of tiny but incredibly talented U12s (otherwise know as sixth graders...the horror). Then, because they lost, they had to ref the finals, which took three games, all three in over-time. So while I was expecting to be done at 4-ish. I didn't get home until after 7 p.m. Nice. Thank goodness that there are only two tournament weekends left.

Ugh.

5 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Can I just say, "OMG!!" because seriously, that is a long, long day of listening to volleyballs getting smacked around!

Beyond that, though, how fantastic when you get to spend time taking in a little of the thing your child enjoys so much (though, p.s., let me say that with the additional remark that I'm glad basketball season is now over...).

DKC said...

Wow. I hope you borrowed a flask from Vodka Mom at least!

Jen W said...

Look on the bright side, at least Volleyball is fairly interesting and fast paced. It could have been a chess tournament ;)

Dibs said...

I'm with Dana and her brain. A day like that definitely required alcohol.

At least you didn't have to listen to Eldest not have a social life all day? Maybe that was a positive? (she says hopefully...)

Anonymous said...

The girl's got game!

By the way, I just found out that when you spike it in another team's face it's called a "six pack". Who knew?