He mentioned that people are currently having trouble with the "American Contract." He went on to say that we all want to support our kids and own a home and live a decent life. Ok, true, on the second part. But contract? CONTRACT? Dude. Seriously?
Because if there is a contract I can sign with America that will assure me those things ... then, damn ... bring it on. I wanna sign up for this deal.Last time I checked it was the "American Dream" ... not contract. And, as defined by stories of Horatio Alger that dream was about seizing opportunities presented you, creating opportunities when they weren't presented to you, working hard, being determined and having a desire to succeed in life. If you did these things, then you lived the American Dream.
It's never been about sitting around dreaming of a house. It's not about a right to a house. It's about working for what you have. It's about living the right way to create success as you define it.
Now let me say there are many, many people out there who are willing to work hard, who are having trouble making ends met. I get that. They have my sympathy. They represent my fear because, honestly, who knows that they won't be the next one bitchslapped by the economy?
What I am talking about is people believing they have a CONTRACT--with the right--to the dream.
What we all have in this country is the right to believe that if we work hard ... and that work may suck ... we live in a place where we may achieve our dreams. In other words, we don't live in a slum in India where our place in society may keep us down. We live in the U.S., where we have a chance.
It's an opportunity. It is not a contract.
That, up there ^, is a contract house.
7 comments:
I concur.
I would have turned that off as well. I have a real issue with people who have that sense of "entitlement." Contract. Jeez.
since i am used to yelling at people on the radio, i so get this. on many many levels.
I am not going to get started on the whole entitlement thing. But it does make me want to push certain people into ponds filled with snapping turtles.
Amen! There's nothing I had more than the belief in entitlement!
I would have written something about entitlement but clearly I wasn't the first to think of it.
This "economy" is going to be quite the wake-up call.
Oof!
Too incredibly true! My dad grew up reading Horatio Alger and moved from welfare during the depression to owning 2 houses. He worked very hard (and was grateful for the GI bill)! But he never believed it was owed him. Maybe more folks need to be reminded of that!
Post a Comment