Saturday, March 14, 2009

in which my daughter discusses her father's passion

Last evening Younger was lamenting an English project that is challenging her. Her teacher is planning to submit one of her essays on their Holocaust project to some regional competition. She asked Younger to do one last edit to make the conclusory paragraph more "emotional and passionate" about how the girl who is featured in the essay must have felt about being in hiding for years.

Younger said, "I've tried but I just don't roll that way. I'm like my Dad when it comes to emotion. I just don't put it out there." As she said this, Younger, Car-man and I were all in the car together. I glanced over at Car-man. He had a pouty look on his face which seemed to say, "Not emotional? Moi? I have emotions." (I love this man. Really. But you would not call him emotional. He's more emotionally catatonic than expressive.)

Younger noticed his reaction too and said, "Come on Dad! You are only passionate about carburetors and pop machines and whenever your wife tells you to be passionate!"

I cracked up. Car-man was even more appalled.

But the more I think about it . . . perhaps I should be a little appalled too? It's Car-man's house of passion.

10 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Ha! Well, perhaps, if you do indeed fall behind carburators and pop machines!

Guess who is married to the same type? :)

DKC said...

Riot! Love that Younger - she really tells it like it is!

Monica said...

The way you tell your stories makes me wish to be a fly on the wall. What a hoot ynounger is.

Do not feel to bad about comming behind carburators and pop machines. I to fall behind each and every piece of "he man tools" MD has. Can not compete with pure power I guess.

LOL

Vodka Mom said...

appalled? No. LAUGHING? YES!!!

Zip n Tizzy said...

Clearly his daughter knows how to make him emotional. Be honored to be on his exclusive list.

Dread Pirate Davi said...

Your kids are great. =)

Carolyn...Online said...

I'm wondering what it is that you tell him to be passionate about.

Leslie said...

Bingo, Carolyn, THAT's why I was appalled. What does she think I tell him to be passionate about about?

mathgeek said...

I love your family!

MsPicketToYou said...

LOVES it.