Tuesday, March 17, 2009

my kids not actually in trouble for this one

Here is a recent message that was e-mailed to the parents of girl-students at Pricey Academy:

Sewing at St. Pricey
Do you have a daughter at St. Pricey that needs her skirt lengthened? We will gladly take care of it this Friday, March 13. The price is $10 per skirt, with all proceeds going towards equipment for a sewing lab at the school. Please find us in the cafeteria after school on Thursday. We will be there until 4:30 to check in the skirts.

I had noticed the rash of short skirts entering the school but figured they were just rolling at the waist. But nooooo, the girls were actually shortening their skirts. There was a uniform check and "most" girls got demerits. As a result there will be new uniforms next year. Somehow, there are more expensive, unhemable skirts. (I haven't figured it out yet.) And the fashion news? They are plaid. How very Catholic schoolgirl of them. They will also have a new cardigan and fleece jacket.

I'd be angry if I were the parent of a freshman, but after two years, Eldest's uniforms are looking a little shabby. We would have had to buy new stuff next year anyway.

Astonishingly, my kid has not shortened her skirt. Hers is the same length it was on the day we bought it. I hold on to the small successes.
It's a house wearing a skirt. (Don't ask me. I swear you can find anything on the intertubes.)

10 comments:

Tiny Dancer said...

Hooray for the small victories! She prolly won't get any privileges back for this, but nice there's one less thing to worry about!
And, I love the houses you find.

DKC said...

It is amazing what you can find! Houses with skirts and apparently, unhemable skirts as well. I'm with TD - small victories, small victories!

Zip n Tizzy said...

When I was 13 my stepfather questioned my outfit of choice, accusing me of wanting to show off for the boys.
I remember thinking at the time, "who cares about the boys? It's the girls who notice what I wear."
Apparently I was right.
Who are the girls shortening their skirts for at an all girls school anyway?
Too Funny!

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, does St. Pricey hold the boys' uniforms to the same fit standards? Do the boys receive demerits if their pants are too baggy, if shirts aren't tucked in, etc.? Are they subject to uniform checks as well? Will the boys' parents have to purchase new uniforms next year as well (please, oh please let those involve plaid pants!)?

Andrea said...

I work at a private school (plaid skirts and jumpers indeed). I know the girls have pretty creative ways of "shortening" their skirts, but I don't think any of them had tried hemming yet!

Leslie said...

Indeed, St. Pricey is co-ed. The boys are busted for lack of belts, untucking and sock issues (believe me, they couldn't bag those pants if they tried). I understand the new uniforms are for everyone.

Susan said...

Either the girls already have access to a sewing lab or they are using duct tape to shorten their skirts. For $10 I will help out with the duct tape removal.
I only mention it because that's the way I hem things.

Bijoux said...

Glad here to not have to worry about school uniforms - I don't need the extra laundry!

MereCat said...

I was just figuring the girls were getting taller, thus the appearance of the skirts becoming shorter. I'm so naive.