Sunday, April 26, 2009

fire drill

So why the aftermath house earlier? Because I really don't have the words. It was self-indulgent of me.

Physically, we are fine.

Mentally, not so much.

It is becoming more and more clear that there is something wrong with Eldest. Something of the she's not so stable variety.

Last weekend...as in the 17th-19th...I went home to a college reunion. Until about 9:30 p.m. on Saturday evening it was a lovely weekend. I was at a backyard BBQ enjoying myself when I got a text. It was from a good friend who said she was worried about Eldest's Facebook status. (Thanks S.J.C.B. You are a true friend.)

I logged onto Facebook on my phone, it said, "Eldest...needs to talk." It was getting coolish and the party was headed into drunkenness...and with only two beers in four hours, I was starting to find the collegial drunkenness unnecessary. So I headed to my parents' place. I called Eldest on the way home. She said she was upset because she'd run into Sasquatch Squared at the mall and he'd made her feel bad again. She assured me that she was fine. She wanted to talk to me but not over the phone. We'd talk when I got back on Sunday afternoon.

I talked to mom and dad, read and finally fell asleep.

At 2:00 in the morning the phone rang. That's never good. And my 70+ year-old parents certainly aren't up for it.

Eldest had texted an acquaintance that she felt suicidal. Then she stopped texting him. He called 911. He didn't know where we live. He didn't know our home number. I don't even want to think about how they found us.

Younger woke up to four policemen in our home yelling, "POLICE. Is anyone home?" Yes. Three people were home. Three people were fine. Well, at least physically fine.

It's pretty much been hell here ever since. I can't process it all yet. So I can't really talk about it.

I can, however, say this. The mental health system sucks balls.

12 comments:

Jen W said...

Oh man, I feel for you. Hope things are looking better soon.

For Myself said...

Your intuition is going to serve you here. Make sure you follow it.

I'm so sorry...

Russ said...

Sweet Jesus. I hope you, and she, are ok.

Tiny Dancer said...

I sure wish I had a story that would help. Sending lots of support your way!

DKC said...

These are the times when I wish I had the wisdom to know what to say to make things better. However, I mostly rely on you for that. (And FM too, she's good.)

Sending you and the whole family lots of love and hope for patience as you go through this.

Andrea said...

I sound like a broken record - but, I've been where you are right now. I know that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, even when you're sleeping. I agree with "For Myself" - follow your instincts. Believe in your daughter even if what you see and hear doesn't make sense; the truth is underneath it all.

As for the mental health system, I couldn't agree with you more. After years of "being in" the system, I just threw it all up in the air and walked away from it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Hang in there, don't give up. You're what Eldest (wants) needs right now.

tera said...

I don't understand what it is with a teenager's brain that keeps them from understanding that there are a lot of people out there who DO...NOT...have their best interest at heart and just want to create more drama. The friends that make us the sickest in our hearts need to not be our friends. Acquaintances. Gossip buddies. Maybe dart board fodder...?
Anyway, hopefully she will figure this out sooner rather than later.
And yes, the mental health system sucks huge. I see that every day in my job and just cringe when parents tell me they are trying to do what's best for their kids but the system that's supposed to be helping them just makes it worse.
...bastards.

Dread Pirate Davi said...

I'm sending happy thoughts your way.

Bijoux said...

Wanted to let you know that your family is in my prayers today, Laggin. Hugs.

Kate said...

Wow, I'm glad Eldest has so many good people looking out for her right now. You and your family are in my prayers.

siskbert said...

Breathe deep. And just keep on breathing.

Monica said...

Yuk, I hate those 2 am police phone calls.

I am sorry to hear that you ahve to deal with this.