Monday, April 6, 2009

just call me mommy

I got about 1/2 mile from home this morning, on my way to work, when my phone rang. Younger pathetically wailed, "Mommy! They won't straighten!"
It is 8th grade picture day. At her haircut on Friday, Younger decided to get bangs. She has naturally curly/wavy hair. I imagine there is no greater trauma to a relatively well-adjusted 8th grade girl than having uncooperative NEW bangs on picture day. (On Friday, had I realized that today was picture day, I probably would have discouraged bangs.) Live and learn.

I actually drove home to help her and started this blog at home as I had to drive her to school since her bad hair morning = (a) not eating or (b) missing the bus. She was bawling and puffy eyed (and clearly PMS'ing), so I waited at home to drive her.

As for the bangs, I managed to make them acceptable but not without burning her forehead. Ugh.

That's the report on the easy child.

Then there is Eldest. Thank you all for your kind words and hugs over the weekend. A lot of people have been asking what's going on.

I'll start by reporting that I did not tell Eldest I don't like her. I worked very hard at not showing my feelings. That was a good thing because, of course, there are always additional developments with Eldest these days.

Lots of what's going on is just that she is 15, almost 16. This isn't the most likable of ages. There is nothing in life that Eldest ever did the easy way and I think she's just making this time tougher than it needs to be. But there are other layers mixed in.

I disliked her so intensely on Friday (and actually most of the weekend) because she spent most of that time trying to make me mad . . . no, truthfully, to piss me off. She wasn't just looking for mad. She knows my buttons. She was not only pushing them, she was electrocuting them . . . jumping up and down on them . . . doing anything to cause me to fight with her. And I did. A little. But not nearly enough to satisfy her.

But here's the thing, I have no doubt that she's truly depressed. I may not like her, but I love her and I see the pain. So I am getting her help. She's going to start with a new therapist and we're trying a little medication to see if we can get her serotonin to kick in and provide her a little happy. We've also finally convinced her to go back on some medication for the ADHD. I've known that she had a borderline anxiety disorder since she was about 7. It's more than borderline now. So the new ADHD mediation will also attempt to address the anxiety.

Further, the fact that she has a disorder in the Autism spectrum isn't helping. While she believes I am absolutely full of shit wrong, she doesn't really understand a lot of social interaction. And because she doesn't understand, she thinks she's doing just fine. In fact, the reason she's low on the friend-meter really has to do with the fact that she's socially inept.

You see, there is nothing that Eldest won't share with anyone willing to listen to her. She has no damn filter. She'll tell her homophobic cousins that her boyfriend is bisexual (yeah, I hadn't shared that little tidbit with you, had I?) Oh, and EX-boyfriend (more on that in a bit . . . but can I just say, "Phew?!") She'll tell people at her Catholic high school that she's sexually active and on birth control (oh, wait, I hadn't shared that with you either, had I?) She'll tell you she's been suicidal and had a boy molest her in the hallways of her school in 7th grade (oh, yeah, that too) and . . . um, hmm, . . . I don't know what all else. And she'll tell you that just because you're talking to her. Even if you don't know her very well. And then? You'll think, "Hmm. I may not want to be a part of this person's life because she's kind of scary and she's telling me way too much stuff." And so, you'll smile at her nicely, because she really does seem like a sweet little person, but who needs this much stuff? And you'll say, "Oh sweetie, you shouldn't feel bad about yourself." And then you'll slowly edge away from her and try to avoid her in the future.

It's got to hurt to have everyone in your life treat you that way.

And it's also a problem when the only person in the world who knows you well enough to see this and tell you to knock it off, you are scaring people away, is your *horrors* MOTHER. Because you are a teenage girl and your mother doesn't know shit about shinola. You are, after all almost an adult ('scuze me, I must go laugh). And you can handle this stuff by your-big-self, thank you very kindly.

But you will also break-down when your boyfriend has finally had it "with all your crap" (and maybe when your mother has grounded you for your horrible grades and so now he can't see you and isn't getting any, so he might as well go look in more succulent, fruitful pastures, if you know what I mean) and so breaks up with you. And when you break-down because that shit-head you've been dating (and who has also been text soliciting blow-jobs from other girls) has rejected you, you will feel the need for grease and sugar and your mother is the only person who will drive you to the grocery store on Sunday night to buy a bag of Hostess powdered sugar doughnuts.

And then, then next morning when your mother hugs you and says she loves you and that being single isn't so bad and, in fact, you are a lovable person? Then, you will push her away and, in a very mean voice, announce, "Leave me the hell alone. I am fine." She will see that you are not. And when you mutter quietly, "And you are going to make me cry." She will know that really means, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. It's just that I've got on this mascara and all . . . " And she will forgive you. And wish that she could put your life on fast-forward so you could skip through the shit-field of teendom.

But she can't. So she'll just love you. Even if she doesn't like you very much because she is your mommy.

This picture just feels like my mommy-house.

21 comments:

tera said...

You know, they say that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger...but it sure is hell in the mean time, eh? Hang in there. Just remember you are all that stands between her and that life she seems to want to throw herself towards and that moms really do know best. And keeps a jar of hugs handy.

Leslie said...

"...all that stands between her and that life she seems to want to throw herself towards..." Profound words, Tera. Thanks.

Rowan said...

Makes me want to cry... wish I could find the fast-forward button.

Why you put up with me, when you have eldest giving you the same crap times 2 or 4... You must be my most favorite glutton for punishment I know.

Dibs said...

Oh honey. Wish there was a way to fix this, and wish I could help. I hope the new therapist and therapies ease things a bit. This has to be such a difficult time for both of you.

cIII said...

"There is nothing you could ever do to make me stop Loving you."

That's what I tell the Goat when she's pulling some 'ol Bullshit. And she's only 7.

Hug that Eldest tighter and tighter as It gets worse and worse.

Then?

Buy a 70 lb. workout Bag and a Rage Against the Machine or Black Elk CD and wail away until your Hands are the size of Catchers Mits.

It works.

Andrea said...

Oh my heart goes out to you and I know it doesn't help much to hear people say "I know what you're going through." But, I do know. I spent a very long 3 or 4 years with almost the same issues you're dealing with. And, when people say that "it will get better," please believe them. Because it will get better. But until then you'll feel like your living in some kind of endless fog.

For Myself said...

If it gets to be too hard, would you please just come and be MY mommy? Please?

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed that the new therapist can reach her in ways the old one couldn't. I wish I could make this easier for you but Eldest is going to have to dig herself out of the mess she's created, I'm afraid. She'll be a stronger person for it.

For Youngest- try a flat iron on those bangs and remind her that there's always retakes.

Big hugs...

Leslie said...

Tonks--The flat iron is what was messing up the bangs! Hell, her hair was making ME mad and I didn't have to wear it.

Me said...

I've had to take my little guy to a couple of therapists both for counseling and one who specializes in disorders. I'm sure you have some in mind but call me if you need a referral.
Okay, I officially retract my lunch offer and now we must go for drinks ;)

Dread Pirate Davi said...

When I invent the easy button for hormonal teenage girls, I'll be sure to call you first.

Everyone one will come out stronger in the end, and you will all live happily ever after, the end. Until then...rum, anyone??

DKC said...

Everyone has left such good comments. I just want to say that you are still my Mom idol and I really hope I can remember all this when my kids hit this age.

Jen W said...

Ditto to what Dana said!!!

Anonymous said...

The flat iron is what was messing up the bangs!
Wet 'em down and use a round brush and blow dryer? Having worn bangs for years I can completely empathize with her frustration. I believe being pissed at my bangs resulted in my foot going through the bathroom wall when I was a freshman in high school. Man my mom was ticked!

Tiny Dancer said...

I love your words. I love the wisdom. I love the house. Your daughter is lucky and one day she will not only know it, but thank you. really.

Captain Dumbass said...

My oldest is five, but I already know that we are going to battle like Godzilla and Mothra the older he gets. Sigh.

Rowan said...

The bangs are the only part of my hair that have curl and naturally it is unattractive. I have a brush thingy that is shaped like a flat iron, except it has bristles on both sides. No heat no plugs, I use it instead of a regular brush when I dry my hair. Then I go after them with a straight iron just in case. Also a straightening balm. Pantene has one that is pretty good.

Kate said...

As a former filter-less, socially awkward, PTSD teenager- all I can tell you is hang in there. She will figure it out in a couple of years. I admire how you are handling all of this and want to remind you that someday she will thank you for putting up with her crap.

miko564 said...

When I don't have time to read blogs, and I start to wonder why I am reading about someone else's life anyway, I remember what I read here.
THIS is why I read these things, because after hearing news stories of kids who are killed, or beaten, or just ignored by their parents, it makes me feel better to know there are others like YOU out there too. People we would never hear about, who work at being a parent, and guide their kids through these kind of trials.
Doesn't matter what kind of house you have today or tomorrow...the foundation is solid, and that's all that matters.

MsPicketToYou said...

you will be rewarded someday, i'm sure of it.

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can bruit about that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is stationary a question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with delivery of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=active killdisk pro suite 5.0 ?
I noticed the utter you suffer with not used. Or you use the dark methods of promotion of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg