Friday, May 22, 2009

eldest doesn't have a penis

Curious about that title? I told Tonkelu that's what I was calling my next post. I'm nothing if not good for my word. We were discussing circumcision of her baby. I told her I didn't know what she should do, responding with, "Eldest doesn't have a penis" and it all went downhill from there. We were actually having lunch with Eldest. She could hardly believe I said it. And it is kind of hard to believe we weren't drinking, isn't it?

So it seemed like the perfect random title for a random blog.

Recent pet peeve
I have totally had it with one of those self-flushing toilets at work. Not ALL of them, mind you, just the cantankerous one. It's a completely passive-aggressive commode. It just randomly flushes while in use. And friends? That can be alarming. Startling. And, dammit, it sprays. Who needs a wet ass?

The real problem is that I seem to be unable to remember this when I enter the bathroom. Pavlov could train dogs. But me? Un-flipping-trainable. I never remember until it's too late.

Mom
My mom has been really great, trying to be helpful through our recent crapload of fun. And I'm trying really hard not to be annoyed with her. But I do have to share one little story.

Remember when I told the story of going to County Mental Health and stupidly wondering how to dress? Well, on my way to that meeting I told my mom this story, mocking myself. She took me seriously.

Then she suggested that I might not want to wear the dangly earrings I had on because people might think I was...and she didn't complete the sentence. She just waved her hands about her head as if to signify loopy, air headed, crazy?

Really! REALLY? She thinks people who work with the mentally ill are going to judge me for my earrings? Good lord.

For the record, they are damn cute earrings.

Mathgeek
Mathgeek is a god. Err...goddess? She is a math deity.

Younger was going all type-A on us the night before her math final. It was a comprehensive final and as she worked her way through the review packet she freaked because she had forgotten how to do some of the problems. No surprise, Car-man and I were too stupid to handle the questions. I'm not very up on either my algebra or my geometry.

And forget Eldest...she flunks math, remember?

So I called Mathgeek as she's a former (a) middle school math teacher and later (b) college math professor and current (c) actuary. She's smahrt! So in the meltdown I called her and she blessedly helped Younger, calmed her down and got us through crisis. YAY for brilliant friends.

Whine
I have recently become a fan of Pinot Grigio. Not like as in I'm drinking too much of it. I'm not. It's just that a had a glass (or two) when out with a friend a couple of weeks ago. It was really yummy. I shared a bottle with Mom earlier this week. It was also yummy. I think I have a new summer beverage. What I can't figure out is why I had never tried it before.

I can't resist...it's a wine house! Har, har.

22 comments:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I was just reading your posts. Your Eldest sounds a lot like my Eldest. I hope you find the right solution for her... I know how hard it is to have this great kid that IS so smart but is failing at school/responsibilities/etc.

For Myself said...

I can just see it now:
"On no...just look at those earrings. Obviously this one is a complete nutjob. We'll need to call for extra supports and get the pharmacy on the line...STAT!"

And the toilet thing? It's like some sort of sick joke. I find myself looking around for the Candid Camera dude when that happens.

Princess Stupidhead said...

welcome to the wine club

Dibs said...

Can you imagine life in the house back in the day with your mother and my mother and their ilk? Yikes!

I may need to get mathgeek's number from you. As you know, I have an actuary of my own, but he and Miss America have been known to get into screaming fights over the damn webcam over math homework. Fourth grade math homework, no less. Can't wait for calculus...

You sound happy today. I'm glad.

DKC said...

I am dreading beyond dread the math homework days! Think Mathgeek might start a side business?

Oh yeah, and I'm with FM - those are clearly crazy person earrings. (They're so cute, where'd you get them?)

Also? Pinto Grigio = perfect summer drink!

Bijoux said...

Those toilets are uber-annoying, as are the low water flushers. Math? I'm up-to-date on the algebraic radicals, since I'm now middle child's "tutor" (read: special ed asst sucks in that class.) The mom story is a classic. My mom is of the same vein of interpreting what other people will think. Weird. I like my wines red, but if you twist my arm, I'd drink the Grigio with you! Have a good holiday Laggin.

Anonymous said...

eldest doesn't have a penisTeh awesome.

kind of hard to believe we weren't drinking...
That's because I distracted everyone with gianormous breastmilk stains on my blouse.

Self flushing toilets that flush while I'm still sitting scare the hell out of me. Next time, take a yellow Sharpie and mark a little dot on the seat (you know, to look like pee) to discourage your from using that toilet.

Are dangly earrings only for hussies? Because I freaking love those earrings.

I'm going to need Mathgeeks number in a few years because my kids are screwed for parental help with math.

Mmm...wine. I have to play nice with the in-laws and Mr. Tonks nutty aunt today and tomorrow. Wine and beer will definitely make the time bearable.

Russ said...

Hey, if you like Pinot Grigio, give Vernaccia di San Gimignano a try. The Wife and I discovered it on our Italy trip.

Tiny Dancer said...

Isn't it nice to have ordinary things to rant about?! I'm with the rest of the crew, those earrings are fabulosa!

MereCat said...

Pinot grigio is a perfect summer whine. What up with the earrings? I still don't understand how that could have ever been on this earth a topic of concern. Well maybe if they were glimmering rhinestones that dangled like this:

I'M
CRAZY
FOR
YOU

Then you might have wanted to stick them in your pocket for the time being.

Zip n Tizzy said...

Why can't you just settle down and wear some simple pearl posts. Hmmm???

Even if you can't be trained to pee in the right stall, at least you know how to unwind at the end of the day.

Hope you're having a nice (quiet) holiday weekend.

Carolyn...Online said...

Wine House... I think that's the first one I've seen that wasn't an actual building.

mathgeek said...

Pinot Grigio is an excellent summer choice!

So glad I could help Youngest out.

Dibs, I'd be happy to yours too. Not that I am trying to defend your actuary, but I will say it is much easier to be patient with someone you are not extraordinarily close to. Velo-dude took a stats class in our first year of marriage and the tutoring sessions nearly did us in.

Terin said...

You know what I have to say about everything else.

I love the earrings!

MsPicketToYou said...

you have been "away" for a while.

i get it; the exhaustion, the disgust in talking and telling. And the fear.

I need you to know that I have cared all along and always will.

iamdarcy@verizon.net

MsPicketToYou said...

i wish you would go deeper in your mom stories.

i think in lots of ways it your story and um, maybe eldest's too?

Terin said...

I know you don't want to right now, but eagerly awaiting an update...

Hugs you tight!

Heather said...

Support is here foe~

Zip n Tizzy said...

Just coming by to say I'm thinking of you.

Lot's of hugs.

For Myself said...

Hi Laggin,
Hope you're well. Really, really hope you're well.
xoxo

Bijoux said...

Wondering where you've been - hope everything is good - hugs!

Irish Gumbo said...

Har, har. And pinot grigio is tasty. I lean toward the white wine when I drink wine these days.

and that pun was awful...but made me laugh :)