In May, during Nightmare '09, Car-Man said to me, "What do you want for Mother's Day?" I said, "Oh, a pre-planted planter to hang on the front porch?"
He stood there with a sad face. I tried to figure out what I said wrong. (Scheess...I didn't even ask for anything expensive!) He said, "Not a fluffy, wuffy puppy?"
You see, for every single holiday for YEARS...birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, Valentine's Day...when he has asked that question I have said, "A fluffy, wuffy puppy!" And he had always said, "NO WAY...we are not getting one more creature. We have a cat." And I have briefly pouted and it's been over.
So I looked at him--a little shocked--and said, "Really? A puppy?" "Yeah. I've been thinking about it and I think it would be good for Eldest. And you. We could use something tiny and innocent to love around here."
So we've spent the last month researching puppies. Trying to figure out which one was right for us. Meet "Hope"...

I'm not sure the name will stick...but the meaning will.
She came home last night. Eldest spent the evening loving on Hope. Twice I found her in tears and she said, "I really needed something to love and to make me happy. I feel happy for the first time in a really long time."
Hope spent the night in her kennel in Eldest's room. She cried and whined...as all puppies do. But Eldest repeatedly climbed out of bed and comforted Hope. She didn't even complain. And let me tell you, Eldest is a BIOTCH about being woken up. That girl likes her sleep. But she has been cheerfully sleep deprived all day long. (She and Hope did curl up for a common nap this afternoon.)
I know this might not last. But, for now, she is living up to her namesake.
Last night, Car-Man said, "The name 'Hope' might be a big responsibility for one small, little puppy." I shook my head, "Hope isn't responsibility. Hope is a feeling. It's always in the future. Hope is all we've got right now."
So for now...she's Hope.
21 comments:
Glad to see you back!
Congratulations on the new arrival. She is a sweetie :)
Hope is adorable and I think it's a great name. I have a feeling Hope is just eldest needs. For years I've said that our dog was the glue that kept our family together. Without Buster I don't think my daughter would have made through her toughest times.
I'm also glad to see you back.
I'm in love...
I can't wait to meet her. Tell Eldest and Younger I'll let them hold Mr. Squishy if they let me hold the puppy. ;)
She's beautiful! I think the name - and the concept - is a good one.
(unrelated - I bumped my blog to private. Wanted to send you an invite but couldn't find your email. If you want in (no pressure) just reply to this comment.
I'm so happy to hear things are looking more "hopeful!"
Glad to see you back, I was getting worried!
Congradulations on "HOPE" I did the same with Devin (only his was a wild bunny he found) and it did work wonders.
It is amazing what a furry little animal will do for kids with issues.
You were smarter than I as his bunny is no longer with us as our puppies are bunny hunters and got him one night. It was not a good night for us. We are now on the serch for a new pet for him.
Holy crap. I think you and MDx3mom have found the key. Three cheers for puppies and bunnies and HOPE!! =D
A fluffy, wuffy puppy! Which will always be known to us as Hope, no matter what you and Eldest decide to call her IRL.
Well HOPE!
I was thinking of names that mean hope. Esperanza is Spanish it has a dual meaning (to wait, to hope) the short form can be Peri.
Just a thought.
Dana...heck YES.
thegoooser@gmail.com
Hope ROCKS.....even though she's not a weiner dog!
Glad to see you back!
I was just thinking of you this week! Glad to see you back around, and when you come back, you bring the sweetness, don't you!? That fluffy, wuffy puppy face is fantastic! I get the sense that Hope and Eldest will be forever friends.
Puppies. They make anything better.
Happy to see your post, I've been thinking about you, Eldest, et all.
This makes my heart melt!
Glad you have Hope in your house. Car-man, you Rock!
And Laggin, you're MY hero! ;)
The pooch will be a welcome distraction! Dogs are great.
Hope.
I dig it.
Dogs have that special way about them.
Hope.
I can truly dig it.
Cheers to Hope!
Cute. It was a good that you never asked for a scaly, waly python. "Hope" wouldn't fit- "Snuggles" maybe, but not "Hope".
Car-man sounds like an awesome dude! :>) What a wonderful gift for your family to give each other! Hope is a good thing!
AH what an adorable dog!!! So happy to hear that Hope is making Eldest a little cheerier in her time of need :)
I was about to get a puppy for myself as a graduation present, buttt I decided on a new car for now ;)
In the mean time, if you need a dog sitter......
Younger wants you all to know, she came up with the name!
Hope. Right on.
Post a Comment