------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I fell asleep around 11. As I start to write this, it's 1:53 a.m. Do you suppose that'll be enough sleep? I wish I could remember where the off button is on my brain.
This evening was Younger's 8th grade award ceremony. There is no real graduation; this is it in the way of pomp and circumstance for these kids. And if you didn't win any awards? You shall have no pomp at all. That part of the day was lovely. Dinner out with the family before. Mom and Dad are here. Eldest was cooperative. Yeah, it was 1.5 hours in a middle school gym to experience Younger's 30 seconds of fame. But it was worth it.
The work part of the day was also good. A new case came in the door. I filed an emergency brief of sorts based on the new law set forth in that Ashcroft v. Iqbal case issued by the Supremes Monday. ("Iqbal"! Tee hee. It's fun to say. I'm so immature.) Stressful work...but the good kind of productive, work stress.
I bet you can guess, because I'm writing at 2 in the morning, that it wasn't all sunshine and roses. I'm getting to know you, and I know you're smart like that.
On the way home from work, I checked on the status of the residential list for Eldest. She's third on the list.
"Um. So sorry, I know we estimated Memorial Day weekend. But the kids we have right now just aren't reaching therapeutic levels and it looks like we aren't going to have the opening projected for next week. We're looking at four or five more weeks."
And actually, the guy first told me he really couldn't make a "good guess" about when a bed will open. I got the four or five week projection when I asked if he could give me a "bad guess" and told him I knew he wasn't making promises.
Do the quick math...that's the third week of June...which means she's out 90 days later...the third week of September. Which means she misses at least the first five weeks of her Junior year. She misses the first five weeks of retaking Geometry, the first give weeks of Chemistry, the first five weeks of American Sign Language (she's dropping Latin and switching language because she's too far behind). Which means? She's totally set up for academic failure her Junior year. Oh, and if she doesn't do langauge her junior and senior year? Well then, she won't graduate because you need two years of a single language. This, of course, also ignores the fact that she'll still need an additional 1.5 hours of classes to graduate on time.
Oh. my. hell.
I don't mind her taking five years of high school. I think it might actually be smart, but I'm not even sure how we make that happen. Maybe Eldest comes out of residential understanding these decisions we made for her. Or maybe she discovers that she's so far behind in school that she gives up academically. She is fully capable of carrying through with her threat to drop out. And just what do you do when your 16-year-old quits school...something she CAN do? I mean seriously? Anybody know the answer to that question? What do you do with them? She can't drive, so can't get a job. (Our community has no public transportation.) Ugh. I can't even think about that scene.
The hospital administrator assured me that she would be in school while in residential and she could just transfer in. Yeah, right. You can really successfully transfer into Chemistry after five weeks without it. And, sure, you can miss the first 5 weeks of a new language and still successfully learn it. And, no Eldest can't do her St. Pricey school work in the hospital because she won't be allowed access to computers, so she can't keep up with the online course load of St. Pricey. And I know that's true from my experience with the hospital this spring. They basically let her sit with a book and read all during "school time" because her reading level was WAY beyond the other kids there and the only math they were doing was mental math...and well, Eldest still hasn't learned her multiplication tables, so they didn't bother.
Shit.
Oh, and as for the public school option I mentioned before, that's really no longer viable because we told Younger that we'd keep Eldest at St. Pricey. She was openly relieved. We didn't tell Younger this, but in all my reading about borderlines, one mother of multiple kids advised that she wished she had been able to send the younger siblings of her borderline to a different high school to save them pain. When I read that, it tipped the balance of our public versus St. Pricey debate, and we now feel --or at least did until that phone call--it is not only best to leave Eldest at St. Pricey, but it would be good to let Younger forge her own life at the public school.
A bizarre aside here...WOW. (That's a "wow" of the spooky kind.) I go back and read the linked post and, gee, guess I'm in a different place than I was then, eh? (Sorry, I'm apparently channeling my inner-Canadian. Where did "eh" come from?) But seriously, that prior post? I re-read it and I see that I knew something was wrong with Eldest. Mom-stinct is spooky sometimes. I just didn't know what was wrong. I suppose there is some sort of strange comfort in knowing my devil?
I know nothing more mocking than a devil that despairs.
~Goethe
Ugh. This is just all one gigantic losing mess. I was already struggling enough with the residential decision but the way it will mess with her school is truly a mess. Now I don't know the "right" thing to do at all. And I don't know who to turn to figure out the answer. We
don't have an established relationship with a new therapist. I mean we've identified her. And Eldest had that first stupid sit-in-the-lawn session. But she doesn't know us or Eldest. Ugh.
don't have an established relationship with a new therapist. I mean we've identified her. And Eldest had that first stupid sit-in-the-lawn session. But she doesn't know us or Eldest. Ugh.Sorry. I just went on a little trip in my head and I realized what I'm doing. It is very much in my nature to solve a problem the minute it is presented to me. I want to figure this out RIGHT NOW, dammit. I don't want to spend the next month figuring it out. But that's what I'm going to have to do, isn't it? I can't know the answer. I've got to just live this life...face Mr. Music...with an unsolved dilemma and wait to figure out what's right over the next month. Oh goodie. Living with indecision. This sets me off kilter like nothing else.
I guess I will be one flapping-in-the-breeze, can't sleep a wink kind of gal. A house off kilter, if you so please.
Well, at least I figured out that I can't figure it out. Blogging can be all therapeutic, can't it?
9 comments:
Isn't it great fun trying to solve it all in the middle of the night? I hope you were able to get some sleep once you applied words to virtual paper.
Husband has a cousin who was kicked out of his St. Pricey for drugs, and ended up doing in-patient treatment for his addiction. His transfer to public school required him to do an extra year of high school.
It all turned out OK.
It has taken him some time to find his way, but he is now a man with a great wife, great kids, a job he likes, and a happy life.
I believe Eldest will have a happy life, too. Sometimes our hurdles are just a little higher, and that really sucks.
btw, I'm glad you made the public school v. private school decision you made for Younger. You are such a good mommy!
Blogging it out is why we do it. I wish I were closer or we could figure something out... MJ and/or I could easily tutor her in everything but sign language (learn it together?). Is there another Pricey Academy or PS she could go to and be affordable? Maybe something more fine arts geared.
I think if she could find something she is "into" she may stick with school a little more voluntarily.
I tell you, you push her through this, and she learns and grows and accepts - she is going to be the most awesome grown-up person.
Where is she staying right now? At home?
Funny how a few positives change things. I had a decent day yesterday, and I was ready to cancel my appt w/ Dr. Maria cuz I couldn't figure out what we would talk about. Don't worry didn't. And I managed to babble the whole time.
I just turned this whole thing around to me didn't I? Crap! I hate it when people do that. Apparently it is time for me to blog on my own.
Love you, hugs, kisses and all that mushy stuff you know I really, really mean!!!!!
I don't have anything epic to say that would help your situation at all.
What I do have is confidence in you and Car-man that you are doing the best you can for Eldest - and that you will continue to do so no matter how bumpy things get.
...sigh...
The tendency for people to recite platitudes and cliches in times of trouble can be infuriating, but I learned a couple things in my times of desperation, insanity, and hopelessness. Sometimes the cliche sayings are so simple, because simple is all you can handle in the middle of the storm.
I struggled with substance abuse in my teens and 20's, along with anger management, depression, ADD, etc, etc. It can't all be done at once, and you CANNOT SEE HOW IT WILL WORK OUT WHILE YOU ARE IN IT. That's where One Day at a Time comes in, and sometimes a Day is too big, and all you can handle is One Minute at a Time. The good news is, I could never have seen how wonderfully my life has turned out. (If I had gotten all the things I wanted, and planned for, I’m sure it wouldn’t be half as good.)
I share you're "problem-solving" issue, I want to fix "it" and I want to fix it now. Tough Shit, sometimes it has to be fixed in "Baby Steps".
Many of us don't know you (RL), but a whole bunch of us are convinced Eldest is being cared for and loved by some really great parents. I haven't read ANYTHING you have done and thought 'Uh oh, that sounds wrong!', not ONCE. You are doing everything you can, and utilizing all the resources available to you...it doesn't get better than that for people with "issues", regardless of what they are.
You can plan for the future, but know that the universe has a twisted sense of humor. You're plans WILL get a wrench thrown in them, the good news is that some of the wrenches will be pleasant surprises. Do what you can today; today has enough weight...deal with tomorrow's weight, tomorrow.
Here's my unsolicited advice, so please, take it with a grain of salt. It's just what passed through my mind while reading.
How is your community college?
I would say for the moment, let her read. Let her read whatever she wants. (Within reason.) She's freaked out and stressed and will not be able to focus on school. Then send her to the center when they have the opening, whenever that is.
When she gets out, have her study for her GED on line and have her graduate HS that way. Then, enroll her in the community college. She won't be dependent on the semester, she can start spring, summer or fall. Let her know that not going to school is not an option, but, not going to St. Pricey will probably take a lot of the stresses she's accumulated off her shoulders.
Most colleges will happily transfer kids from community college in their junior year. She'll be away from HS drama, and encouraged to be responsible, because she'll be going to school with people OUR age. I think sending her back to St. Pricey will spiral her back. She has too much history, even if half of it is imagined.
High school is really hard emotionally, and definitely not for everyone. That being said, her health and an education are non-negotiable.
(Plus going to a community college to start will definitely remove the perception that she's competing with you, and that would be a blessing for both of you.)
Like you, I want to solve the problem (whatever it is) right now! And yet, the best workings out in my life have been when I had no idea how it would work out and just trusted The Force (God, the universe, call it what you will) to let me know what I needed to know and when.
Who knows, some RAK may knock everyone's socks off!
hope some rest and comfort comes your way real soon <3
Post a Comment